PDA

View Full Version : helocoil question for 250X

bryan.young1
06-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Can anyone who knows what there doing tell me how i need to use a Helocoil on my 250X stock oil plug hole? the threads are starting to fall apart. i have heard that if you mess it up you can damage your motor bad. im not an expert but i can probably do it if its not to complicated.

thanks
bryan

sampleez
06-14-2005, 08:16 PM
the helicoil kit comes with a tap, the insertion tool, and inserts. on the package it will show the size of drill bit that u have to buy.

TCracin440ex
06-14-2005, 09:17 PM
helicoil is junk...if you overtighten you will strip the helicoil out again so just get a tap and retap it yourself it should work...if all else fails helicoil it

bryan.young1
06-15-2005, 05:47 AM
you think i should just tap out to a bigger size?

Israeli 300EX
06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
helicoil is junk... it's truth.

ther is some other think to do.
all work on the same idea.

you make a bigger hole and put some insert within it.
the inside hole of the insert has the right thread for the tap.

i use here in israel with "TIME SERT" - work very good.
you can get fast a new thread.

for 6mm or 8 mm you may buy this kit. there is a lot of 6mm and 8mm bolt on the atv and you will find this tool very useful.
to use it ones on such big size thread it will be expensive to buy.
give this job it to who have this tools.

see here link-
http://www.timesert.com/

TCracin440ex
06-15-2005, 12:34 PM
that would proally be eazier....

prepracing
06-15-2005, 11:56 PM
for an oil plug I would definately just tap it out to the next size up, helicoil not a good idea where you are going to be taking bolt in and out pretty often. Plus I wouldn't trust one for my oil plug

bryan.young1
06-23-2005, 12:34 PM
i tapped it out, it is holding great and so far no problems, but im heading to rocky hill this weekend and we will see if i got any shavings in the motor or not. i ran it for about an hour yesterday and an hour the day before that with no trouble. plus changed the oil filter.

thanks again
bryan