PDA

View Full Version : 250X Question for a PRO

bryan.young1
06-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Can anyone who knows what there doing tell me how i need to use a Helocoil on my 250X stock oil plug hole? the threads are starting to fall apart. i have heard that if you mess it up you can damage your motor bad. im not an expert but i can probably do it if its not to complicated.

thanks bryan

quadfamily
06-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Bryan,
Basically you have to find out what size the threads are on the drain plug and buy that size helicoil kit. The helicoil kit will come with instructions but it's pretty easy. Basically you will have to drill out the original hole with a specified size drill which probably comes with the kit. Then you have to tap it with a special tap that comes with the kit. Then you use a special tool that (you guessed it) comes with the kit to insert the heli coil. Then you have to break off this little tab once it's installed and make sure the tab comes out of the engine! And you're done.

bryan.young1
06-15-2005, 05:42 AM
sounds easy enough thanks i think i can get one atan auto parts shop rite? ill just bring the plug with me.

thanks again.

250xTrailRider
06-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Also when you are messing around inside the engine and attempting to drill metal I put grease (I use an automotive ball joint grease) on your drill bit. The metal shavings or chips will stick to the grease and will be less likely to get into the engine.

bryan.young1
06-15-2005, 05:44 PM
i will defanately use the grease. i have been putting it off because i dont want to damage my engine if some get in there, im almost ready to spend the 75 per hr that the shop will charge just to do it rite.

thanks
bryan

250xTrailRider
06-15-2005, 06:36 PM
It not as bad as it seems I just got done doing a few for the rocker arm cover. If you have never done one go get your self a piece of scrap aluminium from your local metal works or machine shop. I bet if you talk to the plant manager or someone running the show they would be happpy to get you a small piece to practice on. Drill the hole fro the size needed and put the coil in the way the directions tell you. When I bought my heli-coil kit it had more than one heli-coil in it.

bryan.young1
06-16-2005, 05:07 AM
sounds good, i also have a friend who used to work in a machine shop comming over to do it with me he said he wouldn't let me mess it up.