PDA

View Full Version : Good torque wrench for under $100.00?

travis977
06-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Looking into a decent torque wrench! I will be mainly using it for routine oil, trans, and coolant changes. I also will be using one to install my stage 2 cam. Won't use the wrench except on the atv itself so I don't need a snap on. Is the huskey torque wrench from the home depot any good? Also seen some cheapies on the JC Whitney web sit. What size will I need? Any suggestions?

bwamos
06-14-2005, 03:28 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

Cheap as hell.. but a great wrench. Perfect for the field.. if it gets stolen who cares.. lol.

Same wrench with a different brand name runs you about $150 lol.

remlapr
06-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I bought one from Sears for around $80 that works great.

travis977
06-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Sweet Find! So I'll just need the 1/2" one?

VT250X
06-14-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

Cheap as hell.. but a great wrench. Perfect for the field.. if it gets stolen who cares.. lol.

Same wrench with a different brand name runs you about $150 lol.

I'm going to buy a dozen or so and stand out in front of Sears and sell them for $40 :) I'm sure they would love that.

LM

greg_gorrell
06-14-2005, 09:49 PM
i just bought one of those pittsburgs one right after i clicked the link....hell $10, thats not a bad deal at all and it even comes with a lifetime warranty. thats crazy!!

fasterblaster09
06-15-2005, 12:10 AM
I might sound dumb,but is that an air tool or just a large socket wrench?

250xTrailRider
06-15-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't know of any air powered torque wrenches. That might be neat to have but the pittsburg one from the link is all manual. So um yea fasterblaster09 its a large socket wrench.

bwamos
06-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Yup a large wrench that clicks over once you reach the set ft-lb setting you set with the dial part on the handle.

1/2 should be all you need.. unless you want the 1/4" in-lb one for smaller stuff.. but you won't need that for an atv.

bwamos
06-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Yup a large wrench that clicks over once you reach the set ft-lb setting you set with the dial part on the handle.

1/2 should be all you need.. unless you want the 1/4" in-lb one for smaller stuff.. but you won't need that for an atv.

Also if you happen to be working on a 300ex.. all the manuals have too high of a setting for the skinny head cover bolts. Manuals show 14ft-lbs.. lol it should be ~7 or just snug tighten them by hand with your standard socket wrench.

fasterblaster09
06-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Alrite thanks,we have tons of those,I didnt thin kthey were worth more than $10.

mstrav1
06-15-2005, 08:52 PM
just remember that you have a lot of leverage with the 1/2" on small bolts and using extensions changes your settings. harbor freight is perfectly fine and you could get both 1/2" and 1/4" for practicly nothing. don't forget it is a calibrated tool and when not in use set / take the load off back to zero. A bolt that needs 18ft. lbs can get striped if the tool is off by more than a few lbs.

just in case you wern't sure 1 foot lb. = 12 inch pounds

matt

Sleeper
06-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I use an inch pound torque wrench for the lower values. I wouldn't count on the accuracy of a less expensive torque wrench at the lower settings (10 - 20 ft lbs) to much.

just my 2 cents.

06-16-2005, 02:24 PM
a cheep accurate wrench... oxy moron.

untill now.. take a fishing scale that is accurate. take a ratchet and measure out 12 inches on it, make a mark. take the fishing scale and attach it to the wrench on your mark. for every ft lb of torque you want pull on the fishing scale till you get to the desired #.

mstrav1
06-16-2005, 02:32 PM
What are you a hillbilly that carrys a deer scale in your toolbox? let the guy buy the right tool. If you have ever over / under tightened a bolt, which all of us have, you would understand why he should get the right tool for the job!!! sugesting a fishing scale is genious for you, but not the right way. if the guys in the factory when they built our bikes used fishing scales to tighten bolts, It would say "made in china"!!!!!

duke416ex
06-16-2005, 03:05 PM
untill now.. take a fishing scale that is accurate. take a ratchet and measure out 12 inches on it, make a mark. take the fishing scale and attach it to the wrench on your mark. for every ft lb of torque you want pull on the fishing scale till you get to the desired #. [/B][/QUOTE]

:eek2: :huh :eek2: :huh :confused: I hope you don't rebuild your own stuff!

Sleeper
06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by mstrav1
What are you a hillbilly that carrys a deer scale in your toolbox? let the guy buy the right tool. If you have ever over / under tightened a bolt, which all of us have, you would understand why he should get the right tool for the job!!! sugesting a fishing scale is genious for you, but not the right way. if the guys in the factory when they built our bikes used fishing scales to tighten bolts, It would say "made in china"!!!!!

Or if they used ten dollar torque wrench.. LOL ;)

mstrav1
06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
its not ten dollars its $13. just kiding. using the cheap torque wrench is better than nothing. I have used them, and tested against a snap-on. they both read the same

Sleeper
06-16-2005, 06:07 PM
its not ten dollars its $13. just kiding. using the cheap torque wrench is better than nothing. I have used them, and tested against a snap-on. they both read the same

Oh hell ya. A lot better than nothing. I'd rather spend a little more, but ya do what you can do. It is a steal for the price.

Sleeper

06-16-2005, 06:18 PM
what is wrong with the ratchet and a scale idear. you are just jelous that you dident think of it. as long as the scale is accurate then it is just as good as any torque wrench. I have used this method many times with a electronic scale that I have.

now if you think I have nonproper tools, well I have a snap on torque wrench as well. but i use the fishing scale method for fun.

mstrav1
06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm just guesing here, but do all your tools smell like fish?

06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
no. lol I actually dont own a fishing pole.

chucked
06-16-2005, 07:42 PM
You guys must not know much about harborfreight, remember, most things made in china are JUNK

06-16-2005, 07:45 PM
shop

06-16-2005, 07:45 PM
shop

mstrav1
06-16-2005, 07:54 PM
i'm just mesin around with you. I see in your sig you need 450r shocks for your bike. i have a set in the for sale section here (sorry not trying to jack this guys thread1!!)

bigbadbrad
06-16-2005, 09:22 PM
sears has one on sale this week for like 68 bucks, its a craftsman, i own almost the same thing and for a hobbyist it will get the job done, and it has a good warrenty, also check at napa and other auto parts stores, should be able to find cheap one at those places. just rember to set them back to zero when you are done using them. Like someone else said it throws off the tourque if you dont.

and for an air powered tourque wrench there is extinsions for 1/2" impacts that are madeout of spring steel that come in diffrent tourques, they are mainly used at tire gargaes to tighten lug nuts, they are pretty accuarate depending on the gun.

Sleeper
06-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad

and for an air powered tourque wrench there is extinsions for 1/2" impacts that are madeout of spring steel that come in diffrent tourques, they are mainly used at tire gargaes to tighten lug nuts, they are pretty accuarate depending on the gun.

Torque sticks.... Ya pretty accurate, depending on the user too;) But they shave the time for the tire guys.

when those first came out they where so frigging expensive. Before napa and the rest made their own.

$68.00 for a craftsman t-wrench. I may have to swing by.

sleeper

JOEX
06-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I know torque wrenches are a calibrated instrument. How and how often do they need to be recalibrated, if at all.

Sleeper
06-17-2005, 05:38 AM
They can last a years if you back off the adjuster when done with it. If it screws up, get a new one.

Sleeper

bwamos
06-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by chucked
You guys must not know much about harborfreight, remember, most things made in china are JUNK

I never said it was the best wrench out there.

I could have pointed him to one that had a digital readout and is accurate to 1% but that would run him about $450.

This one has the same tollerance as a standard Snap-On. +-4%.
Lifetime Warranty.

I've used it many many times for about 2 years with no issue.

Sometimes, you pay for the name not the product.

A Rolex costs a small fortune, whereas a timex costs much less but keeps time just as well if not better. This ones a Casio but it's more than good enough for what were using it for.

Fyi 14 ft-lbs +- 4% is 13.44 ft-lbs to 14.56 ft-lbs.

I personally prefer the old flex shaft style torque wrenches. This one's a great field wrench though. ;)

PS - Harborfreight sells: DeWalt, Milwakee, Makita, Skil, Ingersol-Rand, etc.... You can get GREAT deals on factory refurbished w/ full warranty.

mstrav1
06-17-2005, 12:32 PM
i prefer "folex" available at the local swap meet!!!!!!!:cool:

bwamos
06-17-2005, 12:35 PM
i prefer "folex" available at the local swap meet!!!!!!!:cool:

LoL, me too!! :D
I'd rather spend the extra money on a new set of a-arms.

Sleeper
06-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Damn it bwamos! Your maniacal torque wrench talk has inflamed the whole board. Perhaps next time you’ll think twice;)

Just joking… I had a hard time not jumping on that deal my self. But I know nothing of Pittsburg tools.

Sleeper