PDA

View Full Version : truck exhaust

LTZ400rider
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
im gonna be gettin an 02 v6 4.3 litre s-10 in the next couple weeks. heres the deal, its a 5 speed and the exhaust is way too quiet. i was thinkin either flowmasters or gibson. what are some exhaust that u would reccomend. i want something loud. i was thinkin flow masters with no tail pipes. i want to keep it simple, so should i put true duals on it or just one muffler and 2 tail pipes coming out. also im not sure if i want split rear or dual side exits. give me some suggestions and some prices and pics thanks! also whats the loudest flowmaster series

cknox88
06-13-2005, 09:21 PM
dude have you ever heard a 4.3 loud they sound like crap. even with flowmasters. i have a 4.3 in a s-10 also it is a 91 and the exaust is a little loud but not bad. i hate it though but i aint got the money to pay to get it right. its just my opinion but i wouldnt do it. if you want a loud truck get something with a V8 so it will sound good not like a POS or just do a 350 swap into an s-10

ReconRider25
06-13-2005, 09:25 PM
you didnt say one thing that would help him. i doubt he wants to do that when he has a perfectly good engine. id go with just a single flowmaster or something with a larger diameter tailpipe to make it sound better but not bad. thats just me though.

HiperEX
06-13-2005, 09:27 PM
there really is no muffler that will make a 4.3 sound good , id just stay with stock , almost any muffler willl make it sound like a rice can, i know cuase ive tried 4 differnt brands

cknox88
06-13-2005, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ReconRider25
you didnt say one thing that would help him. i doubt he wants to do that when he has a perfectly good engine. id go with just a single flowmaster or something with a larger diameter tailpipe to make it sound better but not bad. thats just me though. [/

yea i did i told him thier is nothing you can do to make a 4.3 sound good. so i told him he should get a truck with a V8 or put a 350 in his. thier are many people doing this nowdays. you still get close to the same milege as you do with a 4.3 plus lots of added horsepower and torque needed for towing or just having fun.

Scott-300ex
06-13-2005, 10:06 PM
yeah, makin a 6 banger sound loud and throaty, thumpy is hard!

my friend has a s-10 with a 4.3 and he cut the muffler off, its alright but unless you get one hell of a cam in them and exhaust and carbs help, good luck gettin a good sound out of a 6'r

unless you wanna sound like a ricer:D

lol

mud390
06-13-2005, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't run turndowns on that truck. Not enough back pressure. I put turndowns on a V8 and lost all my torque. If you want something a little louder, you could always go with a turbo muffler, like Thrush. They are very reasonable, and not too loud. On a 4.3 it won't sound ricey, but will have some growl when you get on it. If you go with a Flowmaster, check out a 50 series. If you are set on duals, run a single in/dual out muffler. A stock 4.3 doesn't need true duals. You'll only be hurting performace. Add a nice filter, doesn't have to be open element, to the package and you'll be pleased. --Note--I've put exhaust on all my vehicles, from 4cyl trucks to big block V8s, so I've got a pretty good idea of whats going on in this department.

Kris

LTZ400rider
06-13-2005, 11:21 PM
i heard flowmasters on v6 s-10s and on a 6 cyclinder dakota and i think it sounds fine. im not really set on the flowmasters, im thinkin about gibson. i might just get the cheap single outlet or the extreme dual rear

http://photos.truckmoxie.com/images/m/938/19036.jpghttp://photos.truckmoxie.com/images/m/938/19033.jpg

mattonln
06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
I have the extreme duals on my 4.0L ranger and it sounds good, not as loud as flowmaster, but really clean sound with a lot meatier tone. also looks pretty good... check out my sounddomain site.... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/595603 not the best pic, but you can kinda see it....

rider250ex
06-14-2005, 01:09 AM
your best bet for a v6 is raven. thats what im goin to be running on my 00 3.0 ranger. my friend has it on his silverado and my other friend on his nissan v6. sounds good for a v6. at idle it sounds like a v8, but like any exhaust on a v6 the more you get on it the more it starts to sound rice. but even at wot it still sounds pretty good with a raven.

EPDP99
06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
dont buy flow disatsters, get a better exhaust like borla or magna flow. those will sound best because they are designed to flow and not to be loud. dont misinterperate that as they wont be loud because it will definitally get louder but it will sound the best with best performance gains.

LTZ400rider
06-14-2005, 07:48 AM
ok put it this way, i want something easy to install becuz im probaly gonna do it my self to save money. i want something no more than 350 bucks. i want some kind of duals, i have the extreme duals in mind. how come the gibsons arent as loud as the flowmasters, when the gibsons are glasspacks

Stevie-D
06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
check out heartthrob. they make a dual conversion kit that includes everything from the converter back. instead of a conventional muffler, it uses two glass-packed tips. i've got it on my 95 dakota with a 3.9, and i've had many people come up to me thinking it was a v8. of course living out in the sticks i can run around without a cat. i know, not legally.

i think that the heartthrob set goes for $240 with stainless steel slant cut tips, and like $210 for black straight cut tips.

300excrazy98
06-14-2005, 10:15 AM
get some cut outs, my brother has them on his 8 cycle mustang that thing is loud as hell when he opens the cutouts! real cheap 2!

hessianmx111
06-14-2005, 11:19 AM
www.s10forum.com go there and go to the exhaust forum and search for soundclips, there are alot of soundclips of different exhausts to help you out. A 40 series flowmaster on a 4.3 doesn't sound bad at all imo, and that is probably what I will be getting for mine.