PDA

View Full Version : new 300 ex 10 hour dealer check up

300exjoe
06-13-2005, 05:21 PM
The dealer told me after 20 hours to bring in the machine to have it tightened and checked what do they do and is it really that important

FoxMxRiders
06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
habitually they change oil,adjust the valves ...

300exjoe
06-13-2005, 05:26 PM
do the valves really need to be adjusted and is it hard to do

MadMax27
06-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Ive got about 50-60 hours on my 400, 2 oil changes so far... My valves are just starting to make a tick noise, so Ill be adjusting them real soon.

bwamos
06-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Yes,
Need to change out the lightweight breakin oil for the correct oil.
and Yes you need to adjust the valves. Once the rockers seat themselves you're too sloppy. If you hear ticking on a stock 300.. you're really sloppy.. lol.

enduro400rider
06-14-2005, 09:16 PM
yeah its pretty important and a good thing to do, they should do it for free at least thats how it is a my local shop when you buy a new bike from them. adjusting the valve isnt to hard but if you dont know anything about the bike you should let a pro do it. theres a thing in the FAQ section that explains how to adjust valve you would need a service manual to do it your self. but why not save the time and money and have them do it? if your worried about not being able to ride while its in the shop call and make an appointment so your bike doesnt just sit in the shop untill they have time to work on it, this way you can just drop it off and pick it up the next day

FoxMxRiders
06-14-2005, 09:37 PM
yeah I think that for the first checkup,I would go to the dealer.I don't know if you do your own check up oif the warranty will be available?

04TRX400EX
06-14-2005, 11:20 PM
I just encountered the same situation with my 400EX. I heard conflicting things from different people- some said that "yes" the 20 hour service is of upmost importance while others say that it is nothing more than a "glorified oil change." When I asked my dealer about it, they actually said, in so many words, that the oil change is the only real important part, but that I could easily do it myself. Other than that, the valve clearance check is very important but is not likely to get out of check during the first 20 hours. They told me to have it checked at 50 hours, just for peace of mind if nothing else. So I decided to skip the service, save the $150 and change my own oil.

BTW, not doing the recommended services through a dealer will not void warranties.

Second BTW, a normal 20 hour service will include: oil and filter change, valve clearance check and adjustment if necessary, clutch and carb check and adjustment if necessary, chain lube and adjustment, visual inspection of bike, and safety check.

300exOH
06-14-2005, 11:26 PM
You can order a service manual and do it yourself in half the time it will take the dealer. I didn't waste my time with them I just did it myself. If you bought an extended warranty it may be a good idea just so they can't blame you for anything. I think mine only came with a 90 day warranty anyhow.

bwamos
06-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
BTW, not doing the recommended services through a dealer will not void warranties.

Correct, but save the purchase receipts for the oil and filter so you have proof of the change.

The dealer cannot void the warranty if someone else does it unless they provide the service for free.