PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rebuild need to knows

maxxemracing
06-13-2005, 05:14 PM
ok i got a used 400ex for chistmas this year, when i got the thing it would start up fine and run suprisingly well to still be cold but anyway when i get off the gas a puff of smoke comes out. the bluish gray kind and i know its motor oil burning and i am about 99.9% sure its just the rings are getting wore because i have to put about 4-6 ounzes of oil in it for about every hour of hard riding. so i am going to go a complete rebulid on the top end new weisco with rings, prolly new valves and valve springs and maybe a cam. i have a little bit xtra money so i want to get a billet aluminum rod so if i decide to get a cam i can get a rev box and turn the helk out of it and not worry about it.jus wonderin what else you might think i should get i have about 500 dollars and my dad works for penske racing and builds motors for a livin so i aint worried bout putin it together and. i race gokarts real ones and in the limited modifed we run billet rods and turn it 11grand. sorry for all the flapin but i will be more detaild once i get a responce

T.Hopp
06-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I've heard that JE or Ross pistons are a tad lighter which alows faster revs. Maybe check that out. While you do the rod, install a new timing chain from a CR 400 dirt bike I believe it is. Cheaper than the EX but I heard its stronger. New valve job(3, 5 angle whatever).

eganracing
06-14-2005, 05:08 PM
if you buy some shocks you will feel an amazing difference. elka sells a goo set for about 500.