PDA

View Full Version : removeable XR400 clutch cover on 400ex

05-26-2002, 04:57 PM
I had seen the Hinson removeable clutch cover before but I saw a XR400 dirt bike and it has a factory removeable cover, does anyone know if these XR covers will fit on an EX? if so it would be half the price of the Hinson unit.

Leo
05-26-2002, 05:01 PM
There was some discussion about this a while ago...

If you look closely at the hinson unit it has a plug where the kickstart would be (leading me to believe that they use the XR version for the 400EX :D)... then they machine the clutch cover itself..

I'm betting you could order up the XR parts and use them with no problems, just have to find something to plug the kickstart hole..

Does anyone have enough clutch problems with there 400EX to need this mod ?!?

Leo

FullBore52
05-26-2002, 05:01 PM
it should fit, the whole sidecover should...they are the exact same engine...

Tommy 17
05-26-2002, 05:05 PM
the hinson sells the clutch cover for the xr... u can just buy the cover only u don't need the whole side case so that makes me believe they get the xr400 clutch cover... plug the hole and put it on there...

deansfastway
05-27-2002, 05:21 PM
YUP YUP , You can get plugs made by just about anybody that works on MICRO SPRINT ENGINES . DEAN (FASTWAY MOTOSPORTS) The whole cover comes off pretty easily anyway , spend the money somewhere else.

slates74
05-27-2002, 08:26 PM
Dean, is there anyway to adapt the xr kickstart and sidecase to work in the 400,(replacing the battery, starter, solenoid etc.)? Also I rode my friends 425 that you built (sean hubbard) and I must that it definitley rips.

ChadEXer
05-28-2002, 08:11 AM
The quick release clutch covers look nice but they are a waste of money,,,like Leo said,,who has enough clutch problems to need one!! i started to get one but the price is rediculous!! I will find another way to make the motor look nice!!