PDA

View Full Version : tearing rear caliper apart

greg_gorrell
06-13-2005, 01:33 PM
does anyone know if it is safe to pound the piston out of the caliper...i need to replace the seals and i dont want to ruin the piston. how else can i get it out?

Pappy
06-13-2005, 01:37 PM
a small burst of air from a compressor will usually get them out. watch your fingers;)

250xTrailRider
06-13-2005, 06:44 PM
I would put a small piece of brass in between your hammer and the caliper piston. If you do not have brass then aluminum or other soft material. You want something that is strong enough transfer the pounding or pushing but if you hit it off center a little who cares if it gets nicked up , it won't be on the brake piston surface.

greg_gorrell
06-13-2005, 08:47 PM
pappy, what do you mean. how would i go about using air?

Pappy
06-13-2005, 08:58 PM
attach an air nozzle to your air hose, remove the bleeder valve, inster the air nozzle into the bleeder valve hole and give it a shot of air.

i have a nozzle made just for this but when i dont have one i use a standard blow off nozzle. the pistons will pop out almost all the way, then you can work them the rest of the way out.

greg_gorrell
06-13-2005, 11:30 PM
alright...thanks...ill give it a try in the morning

greg_gorrell
06-14-2005, 10:35 PM
well i put the seals in and it turns out that little o-ring was shot too...so i went down to the shop and they gave me the o-ring and i put that in and the brakes back togething...they work like brand new...btw, i just took a piece of aluminum and pounded it out it didnt take too long and it came out easy...went in hard tho.

250xTrailRider
06-15-2005, 04:32 AM
One thing you will want to make sure on your o-rings is that when you put the piston back in it doesn't tear the rubber. It happened to me. The small shaft had a little bur on the end and as I pushed everthing to gether enough of the o-ring can off that the rear brake would spit out a little fluid if I jumped on the rears hard. I had to go back in and redo it.

greg_gorrell
06-15-2005, 09:27 PM
i took care not to pull them out of their slots, its hard to get it in there since they wanna keep comming out but i eventually got it. its pretty tough to do when you have all your buddies there waiting for you to get done so you can go riding. lol

250xTrailRider
06-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Yea, I hear you. Why is that you buddies get to see you struggle with something and when it comes to hard stuff no one is around to see you do it like and old pro. :)

greg_gorrell
06-16-2005, 11:45 PM
haha i know it, they are only around to see youu stuggling with some o-rings lol