PDA

View Full Version : different cams

honda400exrider
05-26-2002, 04:17 PM
which cams help which area of yer quad? (example: xc=more mid-low end) and does it matter what bore size u get with a cam? thanx

RED121572
05-26-2002, 05:59 PM
Which cam is best to use with a specific bore size...thats a good question! Anyone have an answer!! LOL

You might wanna ask a moderator or call an aftermarket company that sells cams.

Heres what I know...may not be much, but here it goes; I believe all you need to know is where you want the most power. Do you want it on the bottom to mid or do you want the power to be on top? Resolve that question for yourself and call an aftermarket company and see what they have to offer.

Good luck hoss, sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

Dave400ex
05-26-2002, 10:18 PM
If you were to do a 440 Motor you wouldn`t want a XR400 Cam because it is not Wild enough. I think the Cam does change some when you go from a 416 to 440.

deansfastway
05-27-2002, 05:05 PM
CAMS are just ground for more or less flow SIMPLIFIED when you make a valve stay open longer more air can enter the CC when you open a valve farther more air can enter the CC The longer and farther the valves are open the more air you can pump . The more you squeeze that A/F mix the stronger the explosion and more energy produced Thats one of the main principles of performance. Too wild a profile without enough compression to light it off and performance gains are unachieved . CAMS are ground more for powerband selection , putting a real wild cam in your woodser quad will yield an engine that is too pipey, putting a mild cam in a trick mx race quad will produce an engine that is flat. no matter what size the bore. Usually wild cam= mid top power / mild cam = lo mid power and torque. There are new devices in cars which provide variable cam timing & lift (HONDA VTEC) It wont be long before this techn will make its way down to your playtoys .Please dont overscrutinize me on this post because I am no Cam Grinder just an engine builder and I am only telling you what I have experienced through the years.

JhallettEX
05-27-2002, 07:32 PM
So then Dean, What cam are you saying to go with? What do you run? What would you go with for a MX 416 and a MX 440?

ride300exred
05-27-2002, 07:40 PM
Go for a TC mx grind you won't regret it .

05-27-2002, 09:09 PM
I would suggest to anyone thinking of buying a performance cam to first ask themselves how they use the quad and what rpm range they want more hp in.

Then check out the search here and look into the many good threads on cam selection.

Just these two things will answer most of your questions.

Good Luck