PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to change the rear seal?

MoToX199
06-12-2005, 08:39 AM
my quad needs two new rear seals where the axle goes through the carrier i was wondering how hard it is to change them?,if its easy then ill do it my self,so let me kno thanks!

06-12-2005, 10:57 AM
that job is so easy it's not even funy...now the bearings are the harder part because you have to press them out. Get that axle off, take the brake rotor off and you will see how easy they are. You prb. want new bearings though too

Chino
06-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
that job is so easy it's not even funy...now the bearings are the harder part because you have to press them out. Get that axle off, take the brake rotor off and you will see how easy they are. You prb. want new bearings though too

Bearings are just as easy to take out as the seals, get a nice block of wood take ur carrier hit it off the wood a few times on one side then put it in a vice or hold it and take a punch and punch that side of the bearings out. Then take the opposite side of ur carrier hit it off a block of wood a few times, then hit it with a punch and hammer and that side will plop right out. I'm not sure how it works but several people told me the wood trick. It moves the bearing right down to the edge of the carrier where it only takes a few good whacks and then it's out. As for putting new bearings in. Grease them up real good, line them up and pound them in, be careful not to hit the seal though. You can even use ur old bearing on top of the new one to get it down in and started. Then put ur seals in, re assemble the rearend, and your ready to rock n roll. :macho btw, if your changing the bearings on a 450r i belive it's the chain side of the carrier that there are two bearings on, and then one bearing on the other side, it has 3 bearings in it as where the 400ex only has two bearings.

06-12-2005, 12:22 PM
i could never get that wood trick to work...I always just took a butane torch to the outside of the carrier and then tried what you said and pushed the rest out with a flathead from the other side. I did put the new bearings in by placing the old bearing on top of them and tapping them in like that so it doesn't damage them

400exrider707
06-12-2005, 01:14 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16357