PDA

View Full Version : rear brake problems.....pics..

4wheeldude
05-26-2002, 09:47 AM
Well, I cant seem to get enough space on the rear brake to fit on the brake disc. The piston things look rusted on the rear brake asembly. I think i need new brake pads too. Anyone have this problem?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/pdf3467a7e27d207a398f8f1ac593df76/fdb6e360.jpg

harebounder
05-26-2002, 10:06 AM
What i think you are talking about your having problems sliding the brakes around the disc. Take a screwdriver spread the pads apart then slide it onto the disc.

05-26-2002, 10:48 AM
-Take off the brake fluid resivor
-take a screw driver and spread apart the piston
-put the new brake pads in (once you get them)
-take a screw driver, spread the brake pads apart with it.
-it should just slip right on.

SUPERFLY 400
05-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Loosen up your parking brake adjusting bolt at your caliper. Then compress your piston. It should slid on now. Once you get your caliper secured, readjust your parking brake or just buy a block off plate, since your already at the caliper.
IMO: I still have my parking brake on, and I don't have a problem with it. Just dont adjust the parking brake to tight, to where it drags on your rotor and you will be fine. Happy Wrenching;)

4wheeldude
05-27-2002, 08:34 PM
here are some more pics, i took today. Tell, me if I need any other parts or if any are missing. I am new to this whole thing.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p25f4b4a4e7ac3889af5b691d7eea501b/fdb358c3.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/pb720b1c19259837fbf5cb332f07e796e/fdb358c9.jpg

4wheeldude
05-28-2002, 03:53 PM
Guys, help me out. Do I need brake pads or what?

Razorback
05-28-2002, 04:24 PM
your piston (the round piece one of the brake pads is sitting on) is almost all the way out. you have to get that pressed all the way in. you should probably clean it good with wd40 or chain oil or something and lube it a little with some grease. take off the cap on the rear master cylinder, then press the piston back in using a long screwdriver or something similar that you can get some leverage with. after the piston goes in, your pads should fit fine.

[edit] by the way, it does look like you need new brake pads, which is why your piston was all the way out in the first place. also, when putting your new pads on, make sure you clean and lube the two pins that the pads slide onto. that'll help keep them from seizing up.

400exRacerX
05-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Yeah your piston is all the way out. What I do is take and old brake pad put it up against the piston and use channel locks to press the piston back.

Blake24
05-28-2002, 09:05 PM
everyone says the parking brakes are junk......well mine stopped working after the 3rd time.........well i tightened it in the rear and now it seems to work but its really tight........is this hard on it or should i just throw the damn thing away? :D

Razorback
05-29-2002, 05:17 AM
if you want to keep adjusting it after every ride, then keep it, otherwise scrap it and get a block off plate.

Braff1
05-29-2002, 06:08 AM
Trash the parking brake. It is useless unless you like replacing brake pads every 2-3 months. If you put it in first gear (with the engine off) you have a parking brake that actually works.

4wheeldude
05-29-2002, 04:17 PM
Is the bolt sticking out of the asembly on the right side, supposed to be sticking out like that? (the one my middle finger is on in the top picture) Thanks for the help.

400exRacerX
05-29-2002, 05:59 PM
Yes,,,, is the parking brake bolt.

harebounder
05-29-2002, 07:40 PM
Do you guys burn through brake pads constantly. I have a block off plate and still get two races if that out of pads and i don't use my rear brakes hardly at all. Do you guys have any ideas. All my friends 400 are about the same. What brake pads do you guys run. We all race harescrambles.

SGA
05-29-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by harebounder
Do you guys burn through brake pads constantly. I have a block off plate and still get two races if that out of pads and i don't use my rear brakes hardly at all. Do you guys have any ideas. All my friends 400 are about the same. What brake pads do you guys run. We all race harescrambles.

I put a set of white brothers sintered rear brake pads on awhile back, they seem to be holding up pretty well. They were highly recommended to me by a shop that sponsers racing quads. He said thats all they run because they hold up. Also make sure you wash out the brake caliper with the hose real good, dirt can build up in there and cause the pads to stick.

400exRacerX
05-30-2002, 01:13 PM
Aftermarket pads wont last half as long as stock. Think about how long it was until you had to change your rear pads the first time??:confused: I get about 6 months out of a set of stock rear pads and I use the rear brakes constantly. I usually get about one year out of front stock pads.

harebounder
05-30-2002, 10:13 PM
I just changed my pads tonight cleaned out the caliber. I put DP sintered pads i have a race this weekend I'll let you know how they hold up.

SGA
05-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by harebounder
I just changed my pads tonight cleaned out the caliber. I put DP sintered pads i have a race this weekend I'll let you know how they hold up.

Last night at the white bros site I read that DP makes white brothers pads. Curious how yours will hold up cause thats what i'm running.

harebounder
06-02-2002, 01:41 PM
Race was cancelled due to rain but i will keep you guys updated.
Have to wait until next weekend but i will get some practice time in now.