PDA

View Full Version : Starter Clutch?

Robin Hood
06-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Well, Ive got an 01 Rappy and its making some pretty funky noises from the left side crank case/ starter area, and I was just wondering, what are the symptoms of a starter clutch going bad?

Im thinking thats whats making the noises, and if so Im going to replace it Asap, the quad still starts up but its just so damn annoying hearing the clanking noise whenever it turns over to start....

Thanks in advance.

MadDog56
06-11-2005, 11:55 AM
The one way isnt usually a clanking noise so much as a whirring noise accentuated with a clank here and there when it kicks in and out.

tater_kamik
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
i say take it apart, find whatever it is, and go ahead and replace the starter brearing if you go much into it.

Robin Hood
06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Well the rappy starts and runs fine now (besides a blown radiator):rolleyes: But thats another story...

The clanking is still persisting, doesnt effect performance at all, its just so annoying hearing it and Im just scared it might damage the motor or something. Ill just replace the starter clutch to see if it helps. thanks.

06-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Its your Starter bearing, the factory one sucks and does not last very long.... If i were you i would replace it.

MadDog56
06-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Just had another one go on a friends bike. The whining persisted and then turned into a clanking that sounded as if it was coming from the head. I'm going to say its your one way.

BushManRebel
06-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MadDog56
Just had another one go on a friends bike. The whining persisted and then turned into a clanking that sounded as if it was coming from the head. I'm going to say its your one way.
I concure MD & DW (periscope down) :D