PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!400ex Steering Stem is making noises???

Dirtiredneck
06-10-2005, 11:52 PM
I rode hard last weekend in the woods and some small jumps on a track, smacked a tree and loosened up my front end a bit. I replaced my tie rod ends and it made it a lot better, but I still feel a little slack and noise in my steering stem when I turn the handle bars left to right I tried tightening up the main stem bolt at the botton of the stem, but it was tight.....Any suggestions????

prepracing
06-11-2005, 01:14 AM
sounds like you need a new steering stem bearing, or possibly a new stem clamp or you might be able to just grease your clamp. Just a couple things that are easy to check

VT250X
06-11-2005, 06:00 AM
When you turn your handlebars left and right look where the stem goes into the bottom of the frame. If it is moving in any direction other than just spinning in a circle that bearing needs to be replaced. You may be able to hear noise from it if you can concentrate on that point. I don't know about anyone elses experiences, but mine was a complete pain in the @$$ to get out. It had been in thier since day one I believe (1987). I got my bearing on Ebay for like $15 shipped. The guy was really quick.

LM

Dirtiredneck
06-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys Im going to go over and check out today. The good thing is my shop is across from a Honda Dealer, the bad thing is part are expensive as hell and I am riding tomorrow...