PDA

View Full Version : Is NOS bad for the R's?

86-250Rnut
06-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I am getting my R soon. and i was wondering how hard it is to install a nos kit. and what parts would i need to get to install it? i hear you need a fuel pump or a bigger carb. and i hear if you dont get ur shot of nos right you melt holes in your piston. so my other ? is,,.... is it worth putting it on my R and how much more power would that give me? And does any 1 know any good info links on nos and how to install/buy it.
thanks,
Mitch:)

TheFontMaster
06-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Boondoker sells a compleate nitris system. As for the melting holes in your pistin, it is very easy to blow up and engine wit nitris. You can get anywhere from a couple hores pwer, up to around 40 horses on a shot of nitris, of course you engine won't last long on a 40 hosre shot. If you keep it resonable how you use it then it can be reliable and add some fun to your quad. I want to put a nitris system on my 250r probably next winter, to get about another 10 horse power just for some fun.

87250rxrider
06-11-2005, 08:37 AM
nitris oxide acctually burns better, and cleaner than other fuels which can be good. a straight NOS injection is bad, but with boondockers, you can get the kit that injects the NOS into the airbox, so the shot is not a direct shot to the engine, improving reliability. NOS acctually keeps an engine cooler with the way it burns, so it also helps there. NOS can be ust as reliable if you use it correctly, but it is expensive and a route i would not take, unless it were for a drag quad.

86-250Rnut
06-11-2005, 08:45 AM
But if i shoot it in the air intake will it lean out my fuel in my carb do you think?<i hear that happens>

brokenbones
06-11-2005, 08:48 AM
most of the nos kits we see at the sand are set up on micro switches set to go at 3/4 throttle you must purge the bottle first and also run a battery for the switchs alot of banshees run it in the drags and pre charge the battery you would proable have to do this with an r also

wilkin250r
06-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Nitrous oxide questions used to fly around all the time, and I responded to most of them and cleared up a lot of the myths. Yes, I've used nitrous myself.

Nitrous oxide, by itself, is not flammable. It's not a "fuel", with super explosive powers. When nitrous oxide is injected into your engine, the heat and compression breaks it down into it's two components, nitrogen and oxygen. Normal air you breath is already 70% nitrogen, so more nitrogen won't hurt anything. What you have REALLY done is greatly increase the amount of oxygen you can burn, so you will also need to add more fuel, or else you run lean.

So, a nitrous system injects both nitrous AND fuel. The injection nozzle has separate jets to control the amount and the mixture. If you inject nitrous oxide alone, you'll run lean and most likely sieze your motor.

350x_mutt
06-16-2005, 03:36 PM
to make it simple its an oxidizer, just
makes the quad burn its fuel a little better
but in turn leans out the quad and makes more stress on rods, crank,floating and bent valves (4 stroke), can make a motor a new paperweight