PDA

View Full Version : Help, stripped head bolt

asdf450r
06-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Well, due to recent injuries i havent been able to ride, so about half an hour ago i decided to check out my valve clearances instead of sitting around. turns out my clearances changed, so ill need to buy some shims, no biggie. but when i was torquing down the valve cover the shorter bolt broke off at the top of the bolt, and the threads are still lodged in there. im not sure what this means. This has never happened to me before so does this mean i just broke the bolt or did i screw up the threads too? How would i go about fixing this? will i have to buy an entire new head? Thanks

Edit- ok i got the rest of the bolt out, should i purchase a new bolt and try to put it in? the threads are missing at the top but probably about 1/8'' in they start again and look fine. dont know if theyre supposed to be that way or what

ZRider400
06-10-2005, 07:01 PM
clean the threads up with a tap if they are messed up at all.. .

if they look fine, buy a new bolt and use that. This time, make sure you only snug it and not overtighten.

asdf450r
06-11-2005, 02:28 AM
where might one be able to find a tap?

05hondablack450
06-11-2005, 07:58 PM
go to sear the have kits to tap that out.

mikes450r
06-12-2005, 12:14 AM
i have broken plenty of those bolts...i have never had to tap the threads..with only 10lbs of torque on them your not going to do much damage to the threads..i just went to my local nuts and bolts store and bought some the same size with washers..

benwa450r
06-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Mikes450R, he is talking about the 3 bolts that hold the valve cover on. These are special bolts. Go to Honda shop and buy correct bolts. They are not expensive. I broke one of the long ones. CORRECT torque is 7 inch pounds on these bolts. I set my torque wrench to 7 inch pounds but minimum on my wrench is 10 inch pounds... snapped bolt. If you unscrewed threaded part back out of head, you didn't mess up threads. I use 1/4 inch ratchet and tighten until you feel bolt bottom out. Bolts hit on sealing washer. If you don't use correct bolt, you will have oil leak... or worse.... crack valve cover. Good luck.

mikes450r
06-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by benwa450r
Mikes450R, he is talking about the 3 bolts that hold the valve cover on. These are special bolts. Go to Honda shop and buy correct bolts. They are not expensive. I broke one of the long ones. CORRECT torque is 7 inch pounds on these bolts. I set my torque wrench to 7 inch pounds but minimum on my wrench is 10 inch pounds... snapped bolt. If you unscrewed threaded part back out of head, you didn't mess up threads. I use 1/4 inch ratchet and tighten until you feel bolt bottom out. Bolts hit on sealing washer. If you don't use correct bolt, you will have oil leak... or worse.... crack valve cover. Good luck.

ah man i reread it and seen that now ben...those are not the ones i was talking about...ya get the right one from honda on those..sorry about that guys..

mike