PDA

View Full Version : Blowing fuses on a z400.

bigb426ex
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
At our last hare scramble race my brother said his Z was riding just fine after the first lap and on the second one it just died on him. He checked everything like normal, tether cord, kill switch and key and everything was turned on. It would turn over but just wouldn't fire up. He next checked the fuse box and discovered a blown fuse. He stuck the new one in there and it fired right up and about a mile further it died on him again. He checked and again the fuse blew. I saw him off of the trail and I was already not doing well so I stopped too see what was wrong. I gave him one of my fuses off of my EX, which is 15 instead of 20 for his Z, and it started right up and made it about another mile and blew it again. To get it out of the trails he ended up using some pliers to the solenoid and it started right up with the blown fuse. This continued to do this about 3 more times, die on him, even though his fuse was already blown till he got back to the pits. So it looks like it is doing it even with the blown fuse. When we got back home to clean them up, he put a new fuse in and rode about 20 yards to get it around to the back of the house and the fuse blew on him again. He has gone over all of the wires and doesn't see any exposed wire. Once we got it in the garage and put a new fuse on it had it running for a while and nothing was wrong while it was sitting there. He shook all of the wires and it still wouldn’t die on him. Ran it till the fan kicked on and it was still alright. He put a 15 amp fuse in then instead of the 20 amp and see if the electric fan was possibly going bad but when it kicked on with the 15 amp fuse it was still alright. He is about to pull all of his hair out trying to figure this out. He really can't think of anything else what could be wrong. He also tested the CDI box and it was alright as well. Any suggestions would help!?!?!?! Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to get all of the details in.
Thanks in advance.

JR3
06-20-2005, 10:08 AM
when my friend was blowing fuses. he had a wire from rectifier slpiced with a withe the negative battery terminal. when he rode about 20 ft it would blow the fuse. and if it idled it didn't blow a fuse. check all wires are pluged in the right place and wires that are slpiced together are supposed to be together.

bigb426ex
06-24-2005, 01:42 PM
It ended up being a wire was rubbing on the upper part of his steering stem.