PDA

View Full Version : Triple Rate, Quad Rate, what does it all mean and is it worth it?

04TRX400EX
06-10-2005, 02:03 AM
So I am still fairly new into the whole quad scene and am trying to figure out and learn as much as I can. I am looking to do some things to my 400EX (bumpers, skids, exhaust, etc.) and have been thinking about the suspension too. I guess I have two questions:

1.) When everyone talks about "rates," what does it mean exactly (dual,triple,quad) and what are the advantages to having rebound and compression adjustments?

2.) I do not ride MX or anything like that, so is it even worth modifying the suspension for trail-use, for example getting some Elka Recreation series or something?

Also, should I consider changing the A-arms to a better +1 or +2 design or long-travel kit, or is that more just for racing?

AlbaKFX
06-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I wouldn't say i'm new to riding, but i'm still barely getting my feet wet compared to some.

The rate of the suspention has to do with the different springs. There are different weights each spring is made to handle... longer springs are for the smaller weights, and those soak up the soft bumps, the smaller ones take more to compress and basically come into play when jumping, after the lighter weight spring compresses.

Elka Rec shocks are triple rate right? Those will be a huge improvement over stock. They will feel plusher for the light bumps, pothole types, etc, while feeling like your landing on a cloud off of a jump instead of the rigid bottoming out of the stockers.

Hopefully that helps some.

cdalejef
06-10-2005, 06:36 AM
You have it backwards, the short springs are for the smaller bumps and the long ones are the main springs which do most of the work.
A good set of aftermarket shocks will improve the handling and ride no matter what kind of riding you do. For trail riding, the Elka economy's will do wonders for you, it won't even feel like the same bike. The adjustments aren't necessary for just trail riding on the front but on the rear you do need to be able to adjust comp and rebound. This is why Elka does not sell rears with out them.

04TRX400EX
06-12-2005, 12:17 AM
What about ride height adjustment? Is that a standard feature or only available on the Elite series or something? Also, what is ZPS?

One more thing, Elka has the likage system available for the rear shock - apparently it allows for better absorption and more travel. What do you all think?

Thanks!

ReconRider25
06-12-2005, 06:35 PM
ive raced a couple times but mostly trail riding and my front shocks are blown. they lasted about a year.(i dont ride the quad in winter). im now having to find new shocks so i suggest if you ride hard(i ride wot in pretty bumpy/pothole filled trails) then youll want some shocks. and make sure you get them dialed in right. itll make the biggest difference.

Pepto_Bismol
06-12-2005, 07:28 PM
One of the most important things you mentioned is that you don't ride MX.

So don't let some of the foolio's that will come on and post here convince you that you need the "best setup" and spend way more money than what you need.

First, for starts, for the type of riding you do, standard A-Arms will work perfectly fine. It is definately the shocks you will be interest in here.

I bought Elka triple rates for my 400EX when I first got it back in 2001, and it was the best money spent on my quad. I did about 50/50 riding at the local track (ET Motopark and Speedworld), and the rest out in the desert (or course).

The ONLY reason I thought about purchasing A-Arms (+2 ) is because I did go to the track. But I ended up selling my quad to buy a motorcycle (again). I never had complaints riding with the longer A-Arms. Besides, if you get standard shocks now, you can save up and get +1 or +2 A-Arms in the future, and still be able to make use of the shocks you purchase now (a revalve adjustment may be required though).

BTW, I had elka triple rates up front, with compression adjustment only. I did use the compression at times, but that is because I jumped ALOT.

Speaking from experience, If you want to save some money, I would go with the Elka Economy shocks up front, and then when you get more into your ride, you can always send those shocks back to Elka, and they can put some cans (ressy's) on for you.

If you have a bit of extra dough, get front triple rates with ressy's compression only adjustable right off the bat. You will be very happy for a long time with this suspension setup on your 400EX.

Good luck!

Pepto:cool:

Pepto_Bismol
06-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Oh, to answer your other question, Ride height adjustment is performed through the pre-load adjustment nut. This is standard on every shock. Even the stock 400 EX fronts have 6 pre-set pre-load positions.

The ZPS, is a zero preload spring. Elka calls theirs a SSD, or Self Sagging Device. It is the very top spring on the shock, which has a very soft compression rate. It basically "sags" or compresses under the weight of the rider and the quad, effectively lowering the ride height. But it is still a spring, so it performs a function to absorb small breaking bumps while riding, and helps with body roll during tight turns.

The elka linkage adds about 1.5 inches of travel in the rear. I have not used it for the 400EX. But to be honest, I never had an issue with my rear suspension setup on my 400 EX either (which was an Elka dual rate, fully adjustable shock).

I loved the lower ride the Elka suspension gave me on my 400, and man it was so fun to perform HUGE power slide out in the open desert!

I did purchase the New linkage for my 450R, but do not yet have my swingarm, so I do not yet have it installed.

Hope this helps.

PS Heres a quick shot of me jumping at speedworlds supercross track back in 2002 with the 400 EX and Elkas

http://members.cox.net/peptob/short_clip.wmv

gojk
06-12-2005, 09:47 PM
pepto, do you still hit up ET? Also, where in the desert can you ride up here. I just moved to Mesa from a small town. We can't find desert that isn't fenced off anywhere.

Pepto_Bismol
06-12-2005, 10:54 PM
gojk,

I haven't been to ET for a while. Right now, there is a group of us that have been riding at Sycomore, which is on SR87 going towards Payson.

Also, I ride on the state trust land. There is alot of it in east Mesa / Apache Juntion / Queen Creak area. I specifically ride at a place called Desert Wells.

You need a permit (25.00 for family) to ride on the land.

check this web site out for more info

http://www.ridingarizona.com