PDA

View Full Version : motor is nocking

05-25-2002, 06:34 PM
I got a serious problem. I just put my motor back together today and got all done and pushed the start button and it fired right up. It was going nock, nock, nock, nock. I quickly shut her down and took the vavle cover off to check the timing and it was right. Then I kept turning the motor over with a RATCHET TO see if the timing was right. The next time it got to top dead center the timing appeared to be wrong. I thought I must be 180 degrees out. So I moved the cam to match top dead center on this revolutioin and put it back together. It still frickin' nocks. I don't know what to do. Maybe the piston is hitting the edge of the gasket. My motor is a 426. I got my gasket from my motor builder but maybe he gave me a stock bore gasket. Even then the piston shouldn't come up high enough to hit it. I have no Idea. Any guess's will be helpful. I'll break the motor back down tommorow to see if thats it. Later

Rastus
05-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Do you have the proper oil, and enough of it?

Leo
05-25-2002, 06:50 PM
at 13:1 w/ an aggressive camshaft if you had the timing off and ran it I would guess that the 'knock-knock' noise you heard was the valves contacting the piston :(

are you sure the timing was off? are you sure it's correctly timed now?

if the timing was off I'd be pulling the head off to inspect the valves + top of the piston..

Leo

05-25-2002, 07:20 PM
just a few questions to help narrow it down if you get lucky and leo's thoughts are not right.

Is the knocking constant or slower like on every stroke or just the compression stroke?

Is it a loud low knock or a higher pitched knock?

if its a slower higher pitched knock then what fuel are you running?

What gaskets did you use? stock thickness?

Maybe you will get lucky and did not send the valves into the piston.

05-25-2002, 09:32 PM
I found my problem, i feel stupid but I put my piston in backwards. I took it all apart and realized that the intake side of my piston has bigger cut outs for the valves than the exhaust side does. So I just had it in backwards. My intake valves did hit the top of the piston though, it didn't leave a mark on the piston. The valves do have a mark in the carbon that is on them. I spoke to my engine builder and he said I might not have bent the valves. I plan on putting it back together tommorow and hooking up a leak down testor to see. Wish me luck. I also did the fluid test to check the actual compression I'm getting with my 13 to 1 piston. I had to do the test twice cause I didn't beleive my conclusions. A JE 13 to 1 piston for a 426 is actually 13.52 to 1. I wanted more torque down low so I was checking to see if I could remove my base gasket to gain more compression. When I called FDO to ask Mike my motor builder what he thought about it he said "you got 13.5 to 1 and you want more, are you crazy". I probably better settle with what I got. Thanks for your help later

K_Fulk
05-26-2002, 01:47 AM
I hope i get that extra compression too. Damn i wish powroll would get my crank back here.

deansfastway
05-27-2002, 05:24 PM
BETTER GET SOME GOOD GAS

05-27-2002, 05:35 PM
I run Cam 2 gas and it runs great. I took my bike for its first ride today and luckily enough everything is ok because she ran awesome. The power was great riding wheelies up hills through the woods to grandmothers house we go. It was great and torquey as h***. You'll love your stroker. I rode one once and can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait till I can do it. Later

R-Crazy
05-27-2002, 08:01 PM
i hope you are not using pump gas. you need at least 110 octane. go to VP race gas web site (search it, i dont know the site URL). have fun.

dave