PDA

View Full Version : LT 230 engine trouble

nman
06-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi,
I have a Suzuki LT 230 in which I have completly rebuilt the motor. New piston, rings, valves, gaskets, timing chain, and carb. I know for a fact that it is in perfect timing and the valves clearences are set at the correct specs and so is the carb. It also has a good spark which includes a bran new coil. Although all this stuff is new for some reason the engine is running very rich, so rich that it only runs for about 5 minutes before it fouls out the plug. I myself and some other people cant for the life of me figure it out. That is where you guys come in. Can you help me, I really need a good ride for the summer?
Thanx

MR.BIG
06-09-2005, 04:03 PM
If you are fouling out then your jetting is to rich. How does it run when you are riding it because you have to find out which jet is getting effected.
idle to 1/4 throttle is controlled by pilot jet
1/4 to about 3/4 is you needle
3/4 to wide open is main jet.

nman
06-09-2005, 04:20 PM
It runs fine at low throttle but it starts to spit and sputter then die anywhere above 1/3 throttle. I hope it is not in the carb because that would mean that i would need a bran new one because it was recently rebuilt and set to suzuki dealer specs.
I have also tried adjusting the needle down and it makes no difference.

MR.BIG
06-09-2005, 04:42 PM
You are probably running lean because you said you set it to dealers specs. You can't do that because you have engine work done so you are getting more air and fuel into the motor. I would go up a couple of sizes on your main jet and see what that does.

nman
06-09-2005, 07:51 PM
its not running lean its rich at least thats what im getting from looking at the plug which is black and the fact that when it runs it backfires. Plus it normally has a 112.0 jet in it and suspecting the same thing as you at one point i had a 117.5 in it and it did the same thing.

hardkoratvmxr
06-09-2005, 07:58 PM
well you should keep leaning it out then if it is too rich

nman
06-09-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah but considering the fact that it is bored shouldn't the stock settings work. You'd think but maybe ill try it when i can get some jets.

hardkoratvmxr
06-09-2005, 08:17 PM
juss jkeep messing with it you will gtet it