PDA

View Full Version : HELP on timing my cams...

One_Bad_400
06-09-2005, 12:08 PM
my cam chain on my 400ex fell off a few weeks ago... and im tired of waiting on my brother or my dad to take it to the shop... so i was wondering if any of yall knew how to set up the cam and timing chain and valves... i dont eally know what im doing so if any of yal know how to do it can you PM me or reply on here helping me and showing me and guiding me threw steps where i can do it my self... thanks...

please if you know how to do it help me... i REALLY need to ride... i havent riddin in a month or longer...

**i have an after market cam in it right now... i dont know what it is... i just told the guy to build me a hot reliable engine... it might be JE or hot cams

cals400ex
06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
1st off, if the timing chain fell off, there must be a problem somewhere. i would make sure you don't need a new timing chain, cam sprocket, sprocket in the bottom end, timing chain guides, or timing chain tensioner.

if the chain only fell off the cam sprocket, you need to remove the cam sprocket and chain. rotate the crank and line up the T mark on the flywheel. make sure you have all of the slack out of the timing chain when rotating the crank!! otherwise the chain will kink down in the bottom end. i usually hold tension up on the timing chain with a screwdriver when i turn the crank. with the T mark lined up put the cam sprocket on the chain. the cam lobes should face down to make things easier. you will see 3 marks on the cam sprocket. they need to face the OUTSIDE of the engine. two of the marks need to line up with the head. the third mark needs to point UP, not down. you can now bolt the cam sprocket back onto the cam.

bwamos
06-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Aye sounds like the tensoiner is acting up.