PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP - no power, bike is dead!!

huffdaddy_400EX
06-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Here's the deal. I just powder coated my frame and I reinstalled the wire harness and went to fire the bike up. It started ok, but idled a little rough...it hadn't been started in 3-4 months. Well, it idled for about 1-2 minutes and died, I tried to restart it but it wouldn't start. I then heard a small pop near the battery. I suddenly had no power, the engine would not turn and the lights didn't work. I thought it might be the fuse, so I pulled it and it looked fine. I put in back in and the lights worked again. I tried to restart it and it just wouldn't fire. I then heard the pop again. I checked the fuses and it was fine...but I still have no power...I replaced the fuse and still no power. The battery is fine (full charge), and I didn't find any bare wires.

HELP!!!

I'm going nuts trying to find out what the hell is going on.

YZ400EX
06-09-2005, 01:55 AM
make sure you are getting a good ground on the negative terminal..because the frame was just PC'd it may not be making enough of a contact and the pop that you are hearing may be an arc from the negative terminal to the frame..Try to clean off the metal to get a good connection and see if it helps..

huffdaddy_400EX
06-09-2005, 02:20 AM
Cleaned off the excess PC and it didn't help. :grr:

YZ400EX
06-09-2005, 02:23 AM
hmm..sorry man without being there and seeing it I cant offer too much help..I tried..sorry..I am sure some other people on here will have some ideas though..

huffdaddy_400EX
06-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the tips...I was hoping it was going to be something simple...but I guess it won't be.

YZ400EX
06-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Well dont give up hope just yet..I am sure it is probably pretty easy and others will be able to help you more..Its probably just something you are over looking right now because you are frustrated..I am sure it will get fixed..good luck..

maxamillion
06-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Theres a good chance its your ground wire. My 400ex has been powdercoated and it started fine for awhile then decided to quit. I had a good ground on the subframe (so i thought), and went over the entire wiring harness it everything showed fine. Turns out the ground wasnt getting back to the starter and I had to run a separate wire from the negative battery terminal to my upper engine mount. It starts fine now. I also heard the same pop u are talking about. Hope that helps.

huffdaddy_400EX
06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Max, you rock! That was it. The sub-frame was not making good contact with the frame. I did a circuit test from the ground to the main frame and it fail...so the circuit was broken. After cleaning off some PC I got a clean circuit and the bike has power.

Thanks again!!

YZ400EX
06-09-2005, 12:15 PM
I told you it would be easy...:D Glad you got it fixed..

maxamillion
06-09-2005, 02:38 PM
haha, glad to help