PDA

View Full Version : problems with car

LTZ400rider
06-08-2005, 08:36 PM
my friends car is messed up and i tried to help her and failed miserably. the battery isnt dead, but when u turn the key it makes a noise by the fuel tank. every once in a while it will make a 2 second slighty grind noise under the hood. it doesnt turn over. i thought maybe the fuel pump or starter. but why wont it even turn over, i checked some fuses but not the ones in the car cuz there isnt a list of what fuses are which.

Syrus
06-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Fuel pump is gondie ! or clogged, hard to tell from what uve givin me in the thread :P Get under there and look !

ajbryan
06-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Okay the noise by the gas tank is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rail when you turn the key, that's normal. If you turn the key and it clicks once under the engine compartment it could be a few things. Your battery and or connections to the starter could be corroded enought that it won't flow the proper amperage. It could also be that your contact disk is shot in the starter solenoid, bad brushes in the starter or a binding/bad plunger or a bad one way clutch. Make sure the battery is charged fully, if the car won't start try tapping on the starter. Sounds like you are going to need a rebuilt starter.

LTZ400rider
06-08-2005, 10:46 PM
i never talk to this girl, its my girlfriends friend so i just tried helpin to be nice. today i took my jack and tools over and went under the car to try tapping the starter. one problem i couldnt find the damn thing. whatever it is i cant help cuz i dont know what im doing really. all the lights come on and everything but it wont turn over. she told me it stalls out in the rain so im guessin its electrical problem. when it stopped working it was a nice day out.

when i came over i thought it would be something simple like a blown fuse or dead battery. i was really tryin hard to impress people :macho but alls i did was look around for stuff :chinese:
i feel bad for her cuz i dont think she can really afford to fix it, and i dont think she has a dad or anyone to help her work on it.

duke416ex
06-09-2005, 07:08 AM
What kind of car is it and maybe someone can help you with where the starter is. Did you have someone turn the key while you looked under the hood? Check the starter wire like they said to be sure it isn't corroded or grounded somewhere.

06-09-2005, 08:23 AM
I think the thing that ingages the starter is bad, because you say it ginds, that means that it isnt ingaging. and other times it does nothing maby because it is stuck ingaged and the batery is low.

LTZ400rider
06-09-2005, 08:53 AM
i dont think the batterie is low cuz the beepin sound when the door is open would sound like its dying. i think its the starter but i dont even see why it wont crank over. my starter when bad but it still cranked over i think

300exOH
06-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a bad starter solenoid(sp) or the starter itself. You can test it with a screwdriver by bridging the contacts. If it's the solenoid then the starter will turn over. I would make sure the battery is okay first. If you have a dc volt meter make sure the battery reads at least 12 volts. It should be closer to 13.8 volts if it is fully charged but 12 should get the car started.

Scott-300ex
06-11-2005, 10:58 PM
ok

9 will get the car started

the beeping wouldn't die down, it takes hardly anything to beep that ecesory beep than it does to turn the car over

tapping the starter is good

the fuel pump will make noise, you just don't usually hear it cuz your starting up the car, it is like a grinding noise, the electric current runs it and pumps the gas to the lines and rails

BUT, I THINK YOUR PROBLEM IS

the relay!!

you can jump it with a screwdriver or a wire but that doesn't always fix it, there might be sparks and a loud click so just so you know, but it won't blow up or anything

if jumping it doesn't work, GET A NEW ONE, i've had to help people with this situation many times cuz they always call me when somethin breaks, its only like 10-20 bucks for a new relay, then connect it all and bam your drivin

i bet you thats it, try it, and spend the couple bucks and you should be rollin

good luck

let us know how it works out