PDA

View Full Version : how much air filter oil?

400exrider26
06-08-2005, 07:42 PM
I have cleaned my filter before but just to make sure im using the right amount of oil so that it will filter out all the crap but not kill my horse power... Does this look like i used enough? p.s- some of the yellow spots you can clearly see i have oiled a little more after this picture...

FoxMxRiders
06-08-2005, 09:21 PM
it's like I oil mine

its hard to put oil everywhere on the air filter

Next it will be a Uni filter with oil in spray :D

JOEX
06-08-2005, 10:25 PM
I've never used a stock filter but that doesn't look like enough to me. Shouldn't the oil cover the entire filter?

I've read that some people put the filter in a ziplock bag and squish the oil into the filter, being careful not to tear the foam.

FoxMxRiders
06-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by JOEX

I've read that some people put the filter in a ziplock bag and squish the oil into the filter, being careful not to tear the foam.

I do that and its suck,thats hard to put oil everywhere

check in your owner manual it's writen the quantity of oil you need on your filter

JOEX
06-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
I do that and its suck,thats hard to put oil everywhere

check in your owner manual it's writen the quantity of oil you need on your filter
Quantity is one thing, being properly dispersed is another.

The Owners Manual reads:
Soak the air cleaner in Pro Honda Foam Filter Oil or an equivalent until saturated, then squeeze out the excess oil.

The pic posted looks far from saturated:ermm:

400exrider26
06-09-2005, 03:43 AM
yes it was far from saturated in some places, but then after i snaped this pic i added some on the more yellow spots i missed, but with the picture and the stufff i added do u thik that is enough? do u guys saturate the crap out of it until it is totally soaked and then squeeze out and take some oil off with like paper towels... ALSO, how is that spray on oil, does it work with stock airfiler-like that spectro airfilter oil spray?

AtvMxRider
06-09-2005, 01:19 PM
No that is not enough oil.

vinson581
06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
i use the spray on uni ****, and finally i got annoyed and just got a uni- they seem as if they dont get as dirty as easy and filter much better, but either way i use PJ1 or uni to clean, and uni spray oil on a uni filter, and the stock foams.

v581

400exrider26
06-10-2005, 03:44 AM
does the spray work as good as the oil>? how does th spectro spray oil work?

6858-400ex
06-10-2005, 06:13 AM
just spray the oil around then squish it with ur hands until spread evenly

2001400exrider
06-10-2005, 09:02 PM
UNI also makes oil in a bottle which u can put some in a pan and rub the filter all in it. massage it with ur hands and squeez off any excess..takes 2 mins tops:blah: