View Full Version : Swing Arm Bolt Seized Frozen ????

HondaRacing23
06-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I have been trying to get my swing arm bolt out for 2 days now. Never been out before. Im powder coating my frame and getting a new swing arm and i cant get the bolt out. I have tried heating and beating the hell out of it and it wont move at all. I have read some other post and they said to cutt it off what do I cutt? the sleeves? i work at a dealership so im sure i can get new ones really cheap.(dealer cost) so im not worried about that. I just cant get it out to put new in. what do i cutt it with too. any help is well appriated. thanks
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

06-08-2005, 06:52 PM
you need to cut it out with a sawzaw on either side of the frame- also what kind of bike is it if you have a bike were the swingarm goes around the motor you may need to cut there as well. since you are replacing the swingarm when you cut into the bolt cut more toward the swingarm than the frame. its alot of fun i have done about ten of them for customers lack of maintainence.

Myrtle150
06-08-2005, 06:53 PM
This is a common problem. We had to heat mine w/an acetalyne torch and pound on it with a 10 pound sledge for 10 minutes before it popped out. Do a search youll find a lot of different ways to get it out.

prepracing
06-08-2005, 08:25 PM
I've also had luck by spinning the pivot bolt with an impact gun and while your spinning it have someone else hitting the other side with a BIG hammer. That has worked for a couple people I know. Good luck :macho

flashnyellow
06-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I just removed mine. I removed the nut from the left side and started beating on the bolt. After beating on it for quite a while I could move it about 1/4". I would spin it and hit it but it would only come out 1/4". I noticed it was pushing the frame out also. I decided to grind the head of the bolt off ( right side sitting on bike) and try hitting it the other way. It took about 3 hits and it was out. I think it was binding up going out the right side. I replaced the bolt and installed it from the opposite end so when its time to remove it I will be hitting it from the right side.

Chino
06-08-2005, 10:22 PM
cut it out with a plasma cutter, that's what i did just be careful whatcha cuttin on :D

velocityatv
06-08-2005, 11:20 PM
find someone with an air chizle and giver he77. I always repack with bearing grease and make sure to put some extra on the bolt. same goes for any pivot point, a-arms, stem mount at the bushing, swing arm, linkage and so forth

jak1389
06-09-2005, 08:48 AM
i have a 02 400ex and just took out my pivot bolt for the fisrt time. took me like 20 minutes. i just used an air chisel. worked great.

06-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I just took mine out, I had a sledge hammar on it for about 10 min and quit, so I cut it to the right side of the motor first, then slid the eingine to the righe side ( the metal that Icut out allowed the eingine to move a litte. then I cut it on the left side of the motor, I found out that the bearings that where sopposed to be in my swing arm where, missing:o . there was nothing left for bearings. I am going to replace it with a stainless bolt, and lube it up good.

Chino
06-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
I just took mine out, I had a sledge hammar on it for about 10 min and quit, so I cut it to the right side of the motor first, then slid the eingine to the righe side ( the metal that Icut out allowed the eingine to move a litte. then I cut it on the left side of the motor, I found out that the bearings that where sopposed to be in my swing arm where, missing:o . there was nothing left for bearings. I am going to replace it with a stainless bolt, and lube it up good.

there should be a bearing on each side, two collars, the longer one goes on the right side, 4 dust caps, 1 on outside 1 on inside of each side, then 1 cap on each side, then the pivot bolt and nut, dont forgot to loc-tite the threads on the end of ur pivot bolt when u tighten it, i have saw several of them come loose ~

HondaRacing23
06-09-2005, 04:52 PM
im going to beat on it for awile longer. I still dont understand how cutting it is goin to work. ill get it out im sure... I got all new parts for it today for $50.00 bolt,nut bearings dust covers seals all of it.(its nice when you work at a dealership u get low cost parts hehe)

FoxRacing81
06-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Took my mechanic 3hrs to hack mine off with a sawzall. It definatly works.

06-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I rounded off 3 sawsall blades on it than wipped out the torch. verry impatient.

HondaRacing23
06-10-2005, 04:25 PM
ill have to go buy some where and get new blades once i get through the dust cap it just like stops. It wont cutt it.

Doibugu2
06-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing23
ill have to go buy some where and get new blades once i get through the dust cap it just like stops. It wont cutt it.

Your cutting the bolt not your swingarm right? You shouldn't be hitting the seals I think.

HondaRacing23
06-10-2005, 05:09 PM
im cutting the sust caps on each side of the swing arm im through the dust caps just not the bolt.

06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I think you are talking about spacers, not dust caps.

HondaRacing23
06-10-2005, 07:38 PM
no there the dust caps because there on the end....