PDA

View Full Version : Needle jet holder question (PLEASE HELP)

PsychoDave
05-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Does it matter how deep the needle jet holder is set? It has a locking screw attached to it and no where in the service manual does it mention how much to set it in or out and I have changed the original setting. (I am talking about the place where the MAIN jet screws into and the needle slides into on the opposite end).

When I was changing my main jet the whole assembly came out and i tinkered with it and now my quad will not run. I did EVERYTHING to see what the problem is. I took apart the WHOLE carb cleaned it and it still is dumping fuel into the engine!!!

400exRacerX
05-25-2002, 02:31 PM
:eek: :eek: Sorry Dave,,,, I wish I could help you out man,,, but I have no idea were its set at. The only tip I can give you is drink heavily!!;)

Wheelie
05-25-2002, 02:37 PM
Screw it into the carb until you can see 3 or 4 threads below the jam nut, that should get it pretty close.

Good Luck!

PsychoDave
05-25-2002, 02:51 PM
I am stumped on this one....I tried to move the jet holder all the way in all the way out...where i thought it was originally but the carb just dumps fuel into the engine. The quad ran perfect this morning with a 178 main, so i wanted to try a 180 main. i changed jets and the 180 was a bit too rich, so when i took out the 180 the whole assembly came out. I tried to put it back in with the carb on the quad but i couldnt. So i took off the carb changed jets to the 178 and put the assembly back into the carb and now it is getting way too much gas. it just barely idles no mid at all (just cuts out) and wide open it just pops.....The plug is wet and i keep changing plugs...I thought the float might be stuck, so i took the WHOLE carb apart (all jets, needle, float, everything looked fine) and it still is getting tooooooooo much gas. (i have a 45 pilot, K&N needle jet in the 3rd clip, and a 178 main, which worked great till the whole assembly came apart) Any suggestions would be great.....otherwise i might get and FCR 39 MM carb! HELP!

PsychoDave
05-25-2002, 03:00 PM
it the clymer manual on page 176, figure 44.... I never saw anything that looked like letter B (it shows C=main jet, Top A=needle jet holder and B= needle jet (which i NEVER saw and dont know if it could have fallen out or what?) and the lower A= pilot jet. ANY IDEAS ? ...i am sooooo mad right now....cant you tell (so i figured my brothers on EXRIDERS could help me)

PoopOna400EX
05-25-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure you just seat it all the way in. That's what I do on mine and it works fine. I had a similar problem with mine, never did identify the problem, I just put my old jet back in. This sounds stupid, but I think my problem was that I was running low on gas. I've not put the new jet back in to verify this, but I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

I have a factory manual and it doesn't say anything about seating, so I just seat it all the way in, then tighten the locking nut on top of it.

Good luck man, I feel your pain,
Jason

PsychoDave
05-25-2002, 05:11 PM
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!! THE LITTLE SPACER THAT GOES BETWEEN THE ASSEMBLY AND THE CARB FELL OUT AND WAS LOGGED BETWEEN THE STARTER AND THE CASE......OMG, I FEEL SO STUPID RIGHT NOW BUT AT LEAST MY QUAD RUNS FINE.......THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT GUYS