PDA

View Full Version : WHat is the difference? Shock question

jdwxv3
06-08-2005, 04:58 PM
I dont want to sound like an idiot but......... Is there a real big difference between a Motocross and XC shock set up? If so where is the difference.

Also if a shock is set up for mx or xc and you race both sometimes if you have both compresion and rebound adjustment can you make a xc shock work good for mx and vise versa? Thanks, Josh

06-08-2005, 05:09 PM
You are probably going to be running stock arm width i take it if you are doing xc. In my opinion i wouldnt use it for both in an mx set-up you are typically soft on top of the stroke and work into a harder sensation at the bottom for coming off of jumps were as in xc you are pretty plush throughout the entire stroke. in the case of rebound you are fast on and mx track to keep the tires on the ground and have constant tracktion threw the whoops were as an xc set-up they are typically slower to prevent the bike from beating you up to bad. i am not saying you cannot run it in both you can adjust your shocks to each extreme and see if it is possible. the only way to know for sure is to ride in both conditions and see. For a beginner or intermidiate i dont think it would be an issue as for an expert or pro-am to pro i think the racing style are different for both

jdwxv3
06-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Ok thanks, the reason I was asking is because I found a dual rate rear elka cheap with a long travel linkage. The only problem is the shock is set up for mx, it has the compresion and rebound adjustment. I was just wondering if I could make the shock set up for mx work good in the xc setting. Our XC races have small jumps and lots of braking bumps and sometimes even an mx track. I dont know if I should buy it or not. It is an Elka dual rate comp and rebound adjust with res. and the long travel linkage for $625 shipped. I gotta think about this. By the way I am getting brand new fronts set up for exactly my weight, style, arms, tire size, skill level and on....... If that makes any difference. Thanks, Josh