PDA

View Full Version : Works or Elka

bluebaron
05-25-2002, 12:48 PM
I just got my a-arms and i need to get new shocks. should i get works trsw/ out rezzies or elka trs with ot rezzies

harebounder
05-26-2002, 11:19 AM
I can't post an actually honest opinion because i haven't rode works before, but i have elka's and have had no problems with them and like them.

400exBro
05-26-2002, 06:53 PM
what type of riding are you doing that is what you have to ask your self....
lata
Bro

mental1
05-27-2002, 01:31 AM
Personally, since I'm not a pro and probably will never be for the money I think I'm going with works triples w/rezzies and threaded preload for $500something compared to Elkas triples no rezzie non adjust for about the same price just me though, If I had the money, Elkas or something of that sort. $.02

400exBro
05-27-2002, 03:10 PM
500 $ where did u buy your from????
i got mine for 509 + the preload whcih is 550 ...
Bro

bansheeguy77
05-27-2002, 03:53 PM
dont get either of them save your money and get quality shocks like pep or custom axis. if your not like a hardcore racer or out to win then get the works or elka's. when i was at the track i swear i seen works on a shee snap in half on like a 25 ft double and a rear raptor shock snap cause he came up short on a 30 ft double. get the pep's or axis and u can do 80 ft doubles no prob.

05-27-2002, 04:00 PM
Damn straight bansheeguy77. You have to look at it this way. Sure elka and works are cheaper yes but they break a lot and you'll have to buy a second set and end up spending more money than buying a quality shock like PEP or Axis.

kabd69667
05-27-2002, 04:13 PM
I sure as helll like my elka's...Today i got some serious riding in. They soaked up everything. One guy was behind me had stadium series works, he said he bottom several times. I would choose the elka's again if i had the chance. Bansheeguy77, i'm sure that elkas would soak up and 80 footer also. I don't think of them as a second class shock either. 400exracer, have you had any experience with elka? They break a lot? A couple guys on here have had trouble with them, but the company made it right. No company is perfect not even, God forbid, PEP. Look how many people all of a sudden bought elkas on this board. 2 or 3 had a problem. I've never seen or heard of an elka shock breaking. I've seen them have a bad seal or leak, but never break. I dont' know where in the world you got that idea

bansheeguy77
05-27-2002, 05:38 PM
yea i guess but i still believe in you get what u pay for. elka might be cool now but something gotta make then so cheap. they dont have zps do they? im not trying to flame i just dont like those shocks. natalie was running them at the track and he was doing the 80fter and dunk had his pep zps and u would not believe how much better the zps landed. plus the top dollar elka's are more expensive than the zps.

kabd69667
05-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Yes, the triple rates have zps or elka's ssd. Yes, the top dollar elkas are more than the peps, but they have more features. You can buy compression adjust elkas for $750 give or take $10 from the quad shop. The pep zps only have compression adjust and they're $900 from baldwin and the wait is atleast a month and a half.

400exRacerX
05-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Yeah I sure as helll learned, I bought Works triple rates w/rezzys in November of 01' and blew them up 5 times already. I'm saving up for some Axis shocks. I learned my lesson with going cheap on shocks<<<<its not worth it.

Norm

400exBro
05-27-2002, 07:49 PM
Norm, how did you blow em up??? over shot jumps ???
today i flat landed a 20 footer on my pratice track, and almost end up endoing, but the works held up and they didn't bottom out as well. i feel that these are valved perfect for me....
Lata, i would go pep there norm, the pep zps are the best shocks made i have ever seen.
lata
Bro

crookedeyemoto-x
05-27-2002, 08:39 PM
I have works pro series, tripple rates and I love them. They work awesome on the track.

RoostinOna400ex
05-27-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks kabd69667 I could say it any better my self!! And me to LOVE MY ELKA's!!!!!!!!! THey soak up everything I give them and have had NO PROBLEMS yet. I very seriously doubt you can break these shocks easily have you seen the shaft diameters. I went to a quad race and I took off my shock covers to show what kinda of shocks I have cuz someone asked and all the quad riders were like " d@mn look at that shaft " " is that an oversized shaft" and these are big local quad riders that know a sh*t load of quad stuff and are hella fast and most of them run tcs and some of them run works but not many!! NOT PEP AND AXIS!! So next time you start talkin sh*t about elka why dont you go put a pair on your quad and see what they are like! And 5 ( at the most) out of like 50 pair of shocks have a small minor seal problem is pretty good for a 4 year old company who many makes snowmobile shocks but just started making quad shocks!! And dont forget how professional mark acted for his company to fix all the problems that occured!!:D

mental1
05-28-2002, 12:33 AM
400exbro if you were talking to me, I said 500"something" cuz I didn't remember the exact price and I have not gotten shocks yet either I need to get another job that pays more before I can and I don't race so I don't see any need at all for me to spend $800+ for a set of shocks. Besides I haven't really ever heard anything bad about Works.

ChadEXer
05-28-2002, 08:33 AM
I would have to say Works, unless you are a pro rider trying to beat J. Jones or Doug Gust or somebody at the nationals!!
Works are very nice and they have been around a long time,,I have never heard anything bad about them! I may be wrong becasue I dont know but my guess is Elka shocks arent much better! i think most people are under the impression that if it cost more than it must be better! Just like NIKE shoes are better than Payless shoes becasue they cost more:D Go for the Works!!

kabd69667
05-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
, unless you are a pro rider trying to beat J. Jones or Doug Gust or somebody at the nationals!!

Man, you must have lost it. You can't beat Jones or Gust with Elka's or even Works. You have to have axis or peps to beat them. Who are you kidding.....Elka or Works. chuckle chuckle

ChadEXer
05-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by kabd69667

Man, you must have lost it. You can't beat Jones or Gust with Elka's or even Works. You have to have axis or peps to beat them. Who are you kidding.....Elka or Works. chuckle chuckle
Well i didnt find any humor in this,,,,,what i was saying is dont spend your money on a "more expensive" shock than the Works, unless your a pro or wanna be some day! I wasnt necessarily reffering to just Elkas!
And by the way, Jones and Gust arent good riders because of the shocks they run,,,they are good riders becasue they know how to ride,,,chuckle chuckle...........

05-28-2002, 01:16 PM

And by the way, Jones and Gust arent good riders because of the shocks they run,,,they are good riders becasue they know how to ride,,,chuckle chuckle...........

just ta let you guys know I beat Jeremiah just about every time I go to the races here in KY. I normally beat him to the track by at least 1 or 2 hours.. :blah

And yes I think the other $20,000 plus dollars on top of the shocks help's them win races,,along with the everyday practicing..

kabd69667
05-28-2002, 03:09 PM

Well i didnt find any humor in this,,,,,what i was saying is dont spend your money on a "more expensive" shock than the Works, unless your a pro or wanna be some day! I wasnt necessarily reffering to just Elkas!

I was being sarcastic in my post. So many people think just because they run those shocks and and win, you have to have those shocks to win. chuckle chuckle......

400exBro
05-28-2002, 03:41 PM
I agree with Chad about the works, and i have a set of work trs and preload adjustment and love them soak up so many bumps and especailly overshoting jumps , with stocker i blew em up and with the works don't even bottom out..(same jump)
If you don't race get works...
But the thing about elka vs. works is that elkas have a larger shaft and also you can get quad rates but the price is a lot more than works just for a larger shaft:rolleyes: .
But you can upgrade the shafts to 5/8 and some others for mx for 170, i think Blackguyona400 did that to his works.
lata
Bro