PDA

View Full Version : Good mod path to follow?

BlazingYamahaYz
06-07-2005, 09:23 PM
I bought a 2001 400ex with a few tiny problems and was wondering if this sounds like a good plan to follow. I am not too worried about it being super fast and powerful, as to me it already seems to be perfect. Anyways my list in order -

Heel Guards(weren't any on there)
New Fuel petcock lever(missing)
New Tie Rod(right front is bent)
New Rim(right front rim is bent a little)
14T sprocket
New airbox off ebay that relocates the battery inside
Body/A-arm skidplates

Does that sound like a logical upgrade path to follow? I love the way the engine pulls and feels stock, and don't feel like any engine mods are necessary. Maybe if it needs to be rebuilt I'll bump it up to a 416 or 440. I'm just happy to be Ridding Red in the Honda Family again.
:D :cool:

Rico400
06-07-2005, 09:40 PM
instead of heel guards, just get nerfs. i just took my heel guards off neways, i dont like them at all.

BlazingYamahaYz
06-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Are they really that bad? I just want some extra security so that my ankle doesn't end up underneath the tire.

awsomeaussies
06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Ya I'd get nerfs instead too... I'd rather have nerfs under my feet than a little heal guard. You could always get the nerfs with the built in heal guards;)

JOEX
06-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Fixing the broken stuff first is a good start;) :p When you order the tie rod get a couple of extras, especially if you ride on tight trails fast, they are fairly cheap;)

Nerfs are nice and some come with heel guards and some wont work with stock heel guards.

After you get everything in good working order and if you have the funds get aftermarket shocks, a world of difference:)

duke416ex
06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Get the ac propegs with the healguards, most ppl I know won't have a quad without nerfs after they get used to them. They not only keep your foot from going behind the peg, but from in front also and give you more room to land on awkward jumps if you come off the pegs. Like jo said, fixing what is broke is a good idea to start with, when you replace the wheel you might look for beadlocks and try to get heavier tie rods so they won't bend as easy. Also, the alum. airbox I had busted out from the weight of the battery and I have heard several other complaints of this. Just something to think about.

06-08-2005, 03:48 PM
yea heal guards arr useless:rolleyes:

bigvforcer
06-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Right who wants stinking heelguards. I think my achilles tendon will thank me when that ahppens to me one day.

Fun Fun, I would for sure get heel gaurds. Whether you think your foot will slip off or not. That sucks to get pulled under a quad like that.

FoxMxRiders
06-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sEX
yea heal guards arr useless:rolleyes:

outch :eek2:

blakefoote
06-09-2005, 10:07 AM
OMG!!!!! THATS GOTTA HURT!!!!!:eek2:

400exrider26
06-09-2005, 05:42 PM
if you ride in woods with rocks, and im assuming you do since you want a-arms and body skids i would also get a good thick swingarm skid. stock metal one sucks, it will get bent really easily and mine almost got ripped off the 1st time i rod it on a really rocky trail.