PDA

View Full Version : polished frame????

johnnyfamous001
06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
has anyone polished there frame,.... and if so how does it look and how do you like it........

parkers30
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
depends on the bike but you really can't polish s steel frame and have it look like anything exciting, I have seen polished Dale frames all I have to say is :eek2: wow, they looked great but from whata I understand you have to do alot of polishing to keep it looking that good

LeGaCyGiAnT124
06-08-2005, 02:53 PM
i havent seen one but i wouldnt do it. It's a quad, you ride it, its not for a beauty contest or anything to spend forever for a frame right?

johnnyfamous001
06-08-2005, 03:41 PM
in NY we have winters here,. so i really have nothing to do for months and i wanted to do the body and engine work over the winter, and i wanted to get things polished up on the motor and i wanted to get the frame all polished.. im gonna be getting black race cut plastic. and i think everything shinny and black would look good... i was reading on here that once u polish your frame u can have it powered coated clear to keep that clean look and also stop the rust..

prepracing
06-08-2005, 08:17 PM
would be a lot easier to have it chromed and not have to worry about it, although I'm sure its not cheap !

drider
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Well, first thing. You can't polish teh frame. It's steal. The only thing you can polish is ALUMINUM! Nothing else. If you do polish steel. (what your frame is) it will turn out real ugly. It wont shine at all! If you want to change the appearance of your frame. either. podwer coat it. Anodize. #1 podwer coat. #2 anodize.

FoxRacing81
06-09-2005, 05:44 PM
Umm...why does everyone think aluminum is the only metal that polishes?

Aluminum is the only metal that polishes easy! Every single other metal will polish. It is so much harder to though, and almost impossible to keep looking good. Aluminum, however, is easy to maintain and polishes really easy. Stainless will also polish fairly easy, but it is a little harder to keep looking good. Everything thing else is pure hell...but, they all can be polished.

-Justin

TCracin440ex
06-09-2005, 06:21 PM
umm you can polish metal....BUT...if you polish your frame...it rusts

you can polish stainless steel too

but if you want to add some bling to your bike....polish stuff like...your swingarm, oil tank, oil filter cap, side cases, heat shield, starter cover, front motor mounts....that stuff polishes pretty good just make sure you get the paint off first

i polished my timming caps on my 400ex they look pretty bad *** imo...the dremel done quite a trick on these bioches

Norris3710
06-09-2005, 09:19 PM
i just saw a new intake for a car that had a new type of powder coat and it loooked like crome it was pretty sharp!!

johnnyfamous001
06-09-2005, 10:47 PM
what gave me the idea was,. on the frame where my boots touch the paint is starting to rub away and the metal is shinny..

TCracin440ex
06-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by johnnyfamous001
what gave me the idea was,. on the frame where my boots touch the paint is starting to rub away and the metal is shinny..

it is eventually gonna rust....powdercoat is the way to go

hondarider2006
06-10-2005, 12:54 AM

Now let your quad sit in the rain, where it was shinny, its gonna be rusty;) Maybe if you polished it, and than got a good clear coat, but even than its going to wear off.

bwamos
06-10-2005, 09:39 AM
in NY we have winters here,. so i really have nothing to do for months and i wanted to do the body and engine work over the winter, and i wanted to get things polished up on the motor and i wanted to get the frame all polished.. im gonna be getting black race cut plastic. and i think everything shinny and black would look good... i was reading on here that once u polish your frame u can have it powered coated clear to keep that clean look and also stop the rust..

Go with a glossy black powder coat on the frame.. and chrome/polish accent the other misc. parts like nerfs, sidecases, etc.. trust me it will be a lot less work.. and look better at the same time.

red2004 TRX450R
06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
use this http://www.atvriders.com/images/usercp/search.gif

yes the 450r as an aluminum sub frame

look

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150031

from post http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119198&perpage=15&pagenumber=4
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/oldsandman/sideveiw640.jpg

bwamos
06-10-2005, 11:49 AM
The original poster has a 300ex ;)

ReconRider25
06-10-2005, 07:28 PM
dont even bother. after you strip it youll have the discoloration from the welds and it wont look right when polished and clearcoat eventually will turn yellow. id suggect chroming it if you really want the look.