PDA

View Full Version : how much does 100 pennies weigh

LTZ400rider
06-07-2005, 08:09 PM
how many pounds does 100 pennies weigh. if u dont know, tell me how many grams one is

MotoX3
06-07-2005, 08:11 PM
less than a 1 dollar bill:ermm:

nosliw
06-07-2005, 08:11 PM
the old copper pennies before 1982 weigh about 1/9 ounce, about 3.06 grams. the ones after 1982 weigh about 1/11 ounce, or 2.49 grams ±0.01.

trick250r
06-07-2005, 08:23 PM
you're bored aren't you

LTZ400rider
06-07-2005, 08:33 PM
yeah but i was thinkin if 100 pennies weighed more than a pound, u can scrap them for 1.10 cents a pound

just a slow stupid and probaly illegal way to make money

Ralph
06-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
yeah but i was thinkin if 100 pennies weighed more than a pound, u can scrap them for 1.10 cents a pound

just a slow stupid and probaly illegal way to make money

Look out guys, bill gates coming through!

cool 300ex
06-07-2005, 08:37 PM
HAHA good thinking!

DeerNuts
06-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I think its illegal to destroy money:confused:

Mxjunkie
06-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by DeerNuts
I think its illegal to destroy money:confused:

damn I cant use ones to start fires with anymore when I go riding? :p

Sportrax10
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
damn I cant use ones to start fires with anymore when I go riding? :p

Thats what gas is for... :ermm:

Mxjunkie
06-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Thats what gas is for... :ermm:

hell gas is worth more then the dollar. :blah:

yamablaster24
06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
This was the case in the great depression because the iworth of the dollar went way down. People were turning their copper pennies into money by selling them by the pound. Since then the U.S mint has added zinc to the penny to decrease its value as scrap.

Sorry kid, but their are 246,000,000 people in the U.S. One of them had to of thought of the idea before you :(

06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
This was the case in the great depression because the iworth of the dollar went way down. People were turning their copper pennies into money by selling them by the pound. Since then the U.S mint has added zinc to the penny to decrease its value as scrap.

Sorry kid, but their are 246,000,000 people in the U.S. One of them had to of thought of the idea before you :( party pooper

400exrules
06-07-2005, 09:39 PM
sorry, thats considered destruction of government property

LTZ400rider
06-07-2005, 10:31 PM
well u go to the museum or zoo and they have them things where it stamps ur penny into a oval peice with some thing on it. i like putting coins on the train tracks lol

EPDP99
06-07-2005, 10:42 PM
why is destroying a dollar illegal. because the ink??? its not backed by anything so it is a special piece of paper.

LTZ400rider
06-08-2005, 05:14 AM
what do u mean its not backed by anything.

i would think if u destroyed money, the value of the dollar would rise, im not sure if thats good or bad though cuz wouldnt prices rise? alls i know money is backed by gold

DeerNuts
06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
alls i know money is backed by gold

LOL. The hell it is:p

duke416ex
06-08-2005, 03:10 PM
No, it really was at one time, but I am not sure if it is now or not. Supposedly there was enough gold in Fort Knox to equal the value of all the cash in the US currency.

We are discussing this on a quad forum, we must all be really bored, I would think nosliw was the most bored if he actually looked that up though:eek2:

06-08-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
why is destroying a dollar illegal. because the ink??? its not backed by anything so it is a special piece of paper. The currency is backed slightly by gold, and mostly by like farm crop or something, if it wasnt backed, itd be worthless.

bulkdriverlp
06-08-2005, 05:38 PM
ive heard that it is illegal to destroy money yet at art shows they engrave designs in quarters and stuff. i dont get it:devil:

06-08-2005, 05:53 PM
what about those machines where you put a penny in there and it flattens/engraves a cool design? I got one of elvis' head when I was in Memphis at a candle light vigil.

Ralph
06-08-2005, 07:11 PM
it is illegal to destroy money but technically it would only raise the value of the dollar.

All the money in the US USED to be backed up my gold but the more debt we dug ourselves into kinda voided that out.

quadmaster88
06-08-2005, 07:13 PM
I think destroying money is retarded... its like burning the american flag... i think queers and hippies to that kinda stuff... if you dont like our government you can go back to Mexico or Europe... it all depends on what you would call "destroy" i would think it would be more something on the line of not having original form or hold no value... people pay over $500 for a $5 bill...

yamablaster24
06-08-2005, 08:13 PM
"Our word for money is derived from the Latin word moneta, a word that means to warn. This then became associated with the Roman Goddess Juno, the goddess of warning and finances whose temple in the Roman Forum was the site of the first Roman mint."

If we destroyed us currency the value of our dollar would ride causing deflation. Meaning the cost of living and everything would go down. Thats the question to "why doesnt the government just give everyone 10 grand" If we did that our economy would take a nose dive and next thing you know you would be paying 22 dollars for a happy meal :eek2:

In fact quite a lot of money is destroyed every day by the federal government. Not only the badly mutilated currency, but also the limp, faded, dirty and torn dollar bills that are just too worn-out to remain in use. The 12 Federal Reserve Banks dispose of the old currency. They use high-speed sorting machines that shred the bills on the spot. Bills that are unacceptable due to printing errors also are destroyed. Just how much currency does the government destroy? A stack of one year's worth of destroyed one dollar bills alone would be a whopping 200 miles high!

If it is damaged, you can trade your worn-out money for fresh currency at your credit union. But remember the 51% rule. Your dollar bill must be clearly more than half intact.So if you burn a dollar or rip it into 6/10's or something like that your supposed to send it to US and have them give you fresh new bill.

Doober
06-08-2005, 09:27 PM
i saw something also like an old old nickel went for like 4.7 millions or something like that...so they traded 4.7 mill. for 5 cents:huh makes sense huh lol

400exrules
06-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider32
i saw something also like an old old nickel went for like 4.7 millions or something like that...so they traded 4.7 mill. for 5 cents:huh makes sense huh lol

yah, mis-printed coins go for alot too........i mean.....A LOT!!!!!!!

like, if the head on the quarter and the design on the back both face up instead of upside down ,its worth a lot cuz of the misprint

but speaking of destroying money, I saw on tv, where they make money in factories or wutever, and they burn millions of dollars every day of old money thats worn out and ragged, while they're printing new bills. It actually showed a guy with a big shovel throwing in piles and piles of bills into a big fire.......that has to be the worst job ever...i wouldnt be able to sit their and burn millions of dollars

LTZ400rider
06-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
what about those machines where you put a penny in there and it flattens/engraves a cool design? I got one of elvis' head when I was in Memphis at a candle light vigil.

i already said that

red2004 TRX450R
06-09-2005, 08:47 AM
We are on a fiat money system not the gold standard any more!
The money is backed by the federal government!
Money is only worth something because the government told us it is and every one believes them! TRUE STORY LOOK IT UP.

:D

I have over 30G in loans to know stupid facts like this!!! :mad:

Werx615
06-10-2005, 02:18 PM
screw the government it sux

quadmaster88
06-14-2005, 02:30 PM
well if it sucks that bad go to Saudi Arabia or some where else because i dont want your ***** here...

LTZ400rider
06-14-2005, 05:40 PM
the government is definetly pretty screwed up and crooked, they rip people off so bad. but hey i cant complain when its better than communism and stuff. i wonder if the middle east backs there money up by oil or something. holland use to back it up by tea bricks back like hundreds of years ago

Pman485
06-14-2005, 05:48 PM
If you burn a dollar bill, the smoke is green.

greg_gorrell
06-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by quadmaster88
I think destroying money is retarded... its like burning the american flag... i think queers and hippies to that kinda stuff... if you dont like our government you can go back to Mexico or Europe... it all depends on what you would call "destroy" i would think it would be more something on the line of not having original form or hold no value... people pay over $500 for a $5 bill...

actually, burning a flag is the proper way to get rid of one, so trechnically it isnt destorying it. also, getting rid of paper money, which is backed by gold at fort knox, would raise the value of the dollar, which in turn would help out the economy. although a few dollars isnt going to do too much and i dont see that as being too patriotic or smart...hell, who want to destory money when they could spend it on some new fullbore plastics?

quadmaster88
06-15-2005, 06:01 AM
I got this from a site about the United States vs. Eichman issue..... "The Flag Protection Act of 1989 made a criminal of any citizen who "knowingly mutilates, defaces, physically defiles, burns, maintains on the floor or ground, or tramples upon" a United States flag, except in relation to the disposal of a "worn or soiled" flag."......

red2004 TRX450R
06-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Pman485
If you burn a dollar bill, the smoke is green.

wrong !!!

I do it all the time at parties.
Some one allway starts flipping out because I am wasting money.
I just start laughing real hard and tell them it was worth way more than one dollar to see them flip out like that. LOL

"also, getting rid of paper money, which is backed by gold at fort knox"

wrong!! read my post on page 2

all real countrys money is not backed by any thing but words!!!

trick450r
06-15-2005, 04:13 PM
you know whats really interesting...if Bill Gates was to cash out his entire fortune...he would bankrupt the entire country....

red2004 TRX450R
06-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
you know whats really interesting...if Bill Gates was to cash out his entire fortune...he would bankrupt the entire country....

Wrong !!!!!!!!!!

he don't have that much in liquid assits.
He would have to sell off non liquid assits and people would give him money for it.

his fortune i not sitting in a bank account!! most of it is in investments like MS and others, some is in toys, and a little is just sitting in the bank!!!!

the Walton family AKA Wal-marts kids are work way way more than old Bill.

red2004 TRX450R
06-16-2005, 02:21 PM
this list is in worth - not in cash!!!!

bill gates 46.5 bill

5 walton children 18 bill each = over 91.1 billion !!!!!!!

trick450r
06-16-2005, 02:30 PM
uhh yeah thats 5 kids together...and forbes magazine put bill gates at a tad over $80 billion by the way...and im saying if he was to cash out his ENTIRE fortune sell everything and put it into the bank then go to cash it..our country would be no more!!...remeber bill gates fortune is all on paper...he could start his own country if that happened...

quading is fun
06-20-2005, 01:52 PM
well u go to the museum or zoo and they have them things where it stamps ur penny into a oval peice with some thing on it. i like putting coins on the train tracks lol

lol doesnt work, i live right next to tracks and ive tried stacking huge rocks, pennis, small rocks, 2x4s and alot of other $hit lol

Rico400
06-20-2005, 02:04 PM
u must have some weird train. i used to do it all the time when i was alot younger. with quarters and dimes etc

red2004 TRX450R
06-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by trick450r
uhh yeah thats 5 kids together...and forbes magazine put bill gates at a tad over $80 billion by the way...and im saying if he was to cash out his ENTIRE fortune sell everything and put it into the bank then go to cash it..our country would be no more!!...remeber bill gates fortune is all on paper...he could start his own country if that happened...

NO NO

If he put all his money in a bank account and asked for it all at once they would not give it to him. The banks legally have 30 days to give you your money. They would just barrow it from other banks or the Fed. If they could not they would just go bankrupt and the FDIC would give you $100,000.00 they insured it for!!!

LOOK IT UP :D

quading is fun
06-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Rico400
u must have some weird train. i used to do it all the time when i was alot younger. with quarters and dimes etc

i dont mean jsut putting them there, i mean trying to derail a train... lol

crday98
06-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by quading is fun
i dont mean jsut putting them there, i mean trying to derail a train... lol
are you f**kin retarded? no one was talking about derailing a train, they were talking about putting coins on a rail to make them flat and it does work.

also, WTF is the matter with you trying to derail a train? let me be the first to say you are a f**kin moron and it is a scary thought knowing someone like you slipped through the gene pool !!!:grr:

quading is fun
06-21-2005, 09:55 AM
lol i dont mean that i try to derail a train, i mean that i put stuff in front to watch the train plow through it, and i was like "humm if trains plow through that $hit then a penny wouldn't do it, so what is he talking about" but nvm