PDA

View Full Version : what luck.

DEAL
06-07-2005, 07:29 PM
went riding today .. noticed my quad wasn't running right .. on closer inspection I noticed exhaust blowing out the bottom of my head .. so I took it home .. torqued all the head bolts down .. found one to be on only hand tight .. put it all back together .. went to turn the motor over .. and snap! blue spark on the right side of the quad and no fire .. now when you hit the start button all you can hear is the buzzing from the cyclinoid .. what the hell is wrong ? I've just about had it .. its not my fuse either .. thats fine .. I checked.
Someone help .. I have a race this weekend.
Also I tried bridging the cyclinoid and nothing happens .. no clicking or anything .. mind you the quad ran and started fine all afternoon.

honda400ex2003
06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Is it the starter. I had my starter on my mower buzz when it went bad last year. I know that it isn't a fourwheeler but it could be the starter. They all just buzz when they go bad don't they? That is what I would say it is. Just my two cents though. Steve

Toadz400
06-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Have you tried push starting it to see if it will even run?

tater_kamik
06-08-2005, 11:02 PM
hook it up to a car battery, see if it starts with that. might not have enough amperage

redrider4ex
06-09-2005, 06:50 AM
check all your grounds and connections, even the little ones you would think mihgt not matter, i had a similar problem after y rebuild, i kept blowing fuses, here, the problem was in my netural switch, and if that doesnt work, check into a new "cyclinoid" before u check into a new starter

bwamos
06-09-2005, 08:22 AM
1st make sure you can turn the engine over by hand in 5th/6th gear. If you can't you may have siezed up the piston from extra oxygen added during the combustion process by the leaky head gasket.

If it turns over.. thank your lucky stars. ;)

Then check your starter sytstem :)

Toadz400
06-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by redrider4ex
check all your grounds and connections, even the little ones you would think mihgt not matter, i had a similar problem after y rebuild, i kept blowing fuses, here, the problem was in my netural switch, and if that doesnt work, check into a new "cyclinoid" before u check into a new starter

When some people stole my 400ex and hot-wired it, it was blowing fuses when we got it back and patched up the ignition. I looked and saw that the neutral light was gone, and the two connectors for it were touching.

I would also look into buying a new solenoid, mine had gone out on me recently and whenever you push the starter button nothing happens. But I think you had said that you bypassed the solenoid and it still didn't turn over. So it sounds like your problem lies somewhere else.

DEAL
06-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Put a new cyclinoid on it today .. didn't do anything .. same buzzing noise .. checked my starter .. fine .. battery is fine .. wtf is wrong.

tater_kamik
06-09-2005, 06:11 PM
did you run it off of an car battery? you can check to see how much amperage your quad is utilizing when starting. you can check to see how much of a voltage drop you are getting when you try to crank it. physical inspection of all of the wiring will probably reveal and problems with wiring, specifically chafing, etc. you should have a large wire coming from the battery onto the starter solenoid, and another large wire coming off of it, but you really need to look at the two wires which finish the circuit in order to close the contact points inside the relay. basically your starter switch will give a ground (probably) which goes to the relay closing the circuits in order to allow the starter motor to turn. you can take your starter switch apart and clean it, and check for continuity when the switch is pushed and when it isnt. just remember that even if the battery voltage is good, not only should the voltage not drop pass 9volts when sstarting, but if you do not have enough current then you will have problems! do not worry about the starter yet, as it will not cause the relay to switch like that

Derag2
06-09-2005, 06:12 PM
put it in gear and push it and see if the motor turns over....... you might have seized it up and the starter can't turn it over. keep trying your starter button and you'll fry it for sure.

TCracin440ex
06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
on the starter there is a wire goin to it with a rubber boot over the bolt...pull the rubber boot back and see if that bolt is loose....i kno this happend to my friend b4 on his 400ex and we went thru everything and finally he pulled the boot back tightened that nut and whala she started just fine

DEAL
06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Derag2
put it in gear and push it and see if the motor turns over....... you might have seized it up and the starter can't turn it over. keep trying your starter button and you'll fry it for sure.

Well considering I just had the motor apart .. and can turn it over with a socket I don't think thats the problem.

DEAL
06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
on the starter there is a wire goin to it with a rubber boot over the bolt...pull the rubber boot back and see if that bolt is loose....i kno this happend to my friend b4 on his 400ex and we went thru everything and finally he pulled the boot back tightened that nut and whala she started just fine

Thats been off and on about 100 times now trying to figure out wtf is wrong.

tater_kamik
06-10-2005, 06:40 AM
what all have you done so far (dont leave out any details!)

DEAL
06-12-2005, 05:49 AM
got it figured out .. somehow my starter wasn't grounded properly :confused:
had to run a new ground wire from the starter .. works fine now.
Thanks guys.