PDA

View Full Version : More Stuff!!!

honda400exrider
05-25-2002, 07:04 AM
I have about 400 dollars that im most likely wiling 2 spend on my quad. i allready have some stuff in my signature but i want motor work know.

i was looking at different sizes of pistons and cams but theres so many to choose from.

how much is a good deal on a piston/cam combo that works well?

also how much should i expect 2 pay 2 have my honda dealer put it in?

thanx alot

Leo
05-25-2002, 07:41 AM
$400..

you should be able to get your choice of piston + camshaft, most of the shops around here charge quite a bit of $$ to install, so that may blow your budjet.. probably best going with a 416 or so, a 440 kit (sleeve, extra machine work, etc.. would probably put you over budjet)..

best bet is to talk your mechanically inclined buddy into helping you out with the install, or pick up a shop manual :D

Leo

05-25-2002, 09:39 AM
I would get a Stock bore 10:5.1 Piston, and a XR400 Camshaft, thats what i plan on doing and its under $400 easy

honda400exrider
05-25-2002, 06:21 PM
how does the higher compression piston give a bennifit?:(

honda400exrider
05-25-2002, 06:22 PM
how does the higher compression piston give a bennifit?:( and what make of piston do u reccomend?

Rastus
05-25-2002, 06:48 PM
With a higher compression piston, when the fuel ignites, theres more of a force pushing the piston down, so more power.Its easy to put a new piston and cam in. Id recommend a buddy, and a manual.

honda400exrider
05-25-2002, 06:50 PM
i got a service manual if thats what u reccomend. but how long should it take, with some1 who knows what theyre doing?
:devil

Rastus
05-25-2002, 06:54 PM
oh, for the piston and everything, or just the cam?

honda400exrider
05-25-2002, 06:55 PM
to get my $$$'s worth
(whatever it takes, but that would include the cam)

Rastus
05-25-2002, 07:29 PM
Oh, id say 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours to tear down to the bottom part of the motor.(so you can put the piston in.)putting the new piston in should be easy.Put the new rings on, and put the piston on the connecting rod. Then use a ring compressor if nesecary to get the piston and rings back in the sleeve.
There should be better details in the manual than in I could put in here.It should tell you pretty much all the details about putting in, timing, etc.

Hope this helps.

honda400exrider
05-26-2002, 04:21 PM
well thats fine and dandy, lol, but a little complicating because im a WEEEtard. so how long would it take 4 honda 2 do it? (obviously and estimate) thaNX

RED121572
05-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Hey bud,

Heres what I know. The local shop here charges 50 bucks an hour. They charged my buddy 4 hours just to tear down his Warrior. I would guess its gonna be that long to put it back together. Thats 400 bucks just in labor.

Having a shop manual and doing the work myself, it took me two hours from the time I took the seat off until the piston was off the rod. (Ive done it a few times since then, Im able to do it in just about an hour now)

Putting it back together requires a patient buddy working along side. Its not impossible to do yourself, but it would be very difficult.

It took Dave and I over 4 hours to put it all back together the first time.

My first project was with my current mods except I had an XR400 cam in it. It worked great at the bottom end, but it didnt push the top end any better than stock. I then switched the WB's cam and Im much happier WB's cam. Next winter when I build it up to 416cc's, Im gonna throw in the WB's track cam for giggles.

400 bucks....that just might be enough. Off the top of my head, my cam and piston ran about 280. Now, your gonna need gaskets, thread loc, anti seize, more oil, razor blades, cam lube,a shop manual and the bore is gonna have to be honed. Now, if you get an overbore piston, youll need to have it bored and honed. If you get a cam that doesnt have the sprocket flange on it, youll need to have your stock cams flange pressed off and pressed back on your new cam.

As I found out and you will too, theres more expenses involved besides the cost of the piston and cam.

Also, you might want to consider an aftermarket clutch. The clutch I chose was $110.

One note, if you rebuild the motor yourself, take your time and dont attempt any shortcuts. Such as, not using thread loc, not using a torque wrench..etc.

good luck man...remember, we are all here to help you!
:D

Smoker
05-26-2002, 06:56 PM
I know your mind is made up on what you want to do with your money but in my opinion a set of front shocks will let you use the the power you have better. I bought a pair of works for the front and was amazed at what a difference it made. Good suspension will make you faster everywhere without fatigue. Your confidence level goes up since the bike is a lot smoother over terrain also. I got some money together for my bike and the first thing I did was improve from the works (nothing wrong with the works, mind you). I'll be building the motor up in a few weeks but that my two cents, it's your money though. :p

400exBro
05-26-2002, 07:00 PM
i would sugest a 11.1 and a higher lifting cam with hardened rockers and better spring will give you greater power than a 10.5:1 and a xr cam(stock bore) but it might cost a bit more than 400$ first check it out with your shop and do the work by your self, you will learn...
Bro

deansfastway
05-27-2002, 05:17 PM
GET a 10.5 piston a WHITE BROS wb1498 cam Barnett MT 79 clutch springs and some gaskets. I do it all the time, this makes good pcheap usable ower. There is some power to be achieved in porting the cyl head and performing a 5 angle valve job, this is more of a race oriented thing though and may send you out of budget. E mail me for more specifics or if I can help you in any way . DEAN /FASTWAYMOTOSPORTS (NEW JERSEY) deanholonics@msn.com

R-Crazy
05-27-2002, 08:11 PM
sorry to get off the subject, but for my 300, i have heard that the 250x cam is a little hotter than the 300 cam. would it be worth getting a 250x cam or just an aftermarket one. i just want a lttle more bottom end. if i shouldn't do that, what should i so to achieve a better bottom end w/o hurting top and mid range?
thanx for your help and sorry for changing the subject:)

dave

Rastus
05-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Id say jsut go aftermarket with a cam.I recommend getting a cam from Webcam, they're nice cams.Also, you could put soem more discs on your megamax 2?

R-Crazy
05-28-2002, 10:12 AM
i could do that. i am moving to NJ where noise level is more inforced. would i then have to rejet, since then it would run richer? maybe i will just drill a couple of hole in my lid. the elevation is a little higher there, but only like 500-1000 feet.

dave