PDA

View Full Version : installing masterlink

nosliw
06-07-2005, 05:45 PM
got a master link for my stock ex chain, but i cant seem to 'squeeze' the sides together enough to expose the slotted part of the pin to put the clip on. is there some kind of tool i need?

thanks

duke416ex
06-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I just use a pair of channel locks and squeeze it together between the studs.

nosliw
06-07-2005, 05:54 PM
yea i tried that at first but then remembered someone telling me it was really easy and i assumed i was doing something wrong...... i'll go and try that :macho

nosliw
06-07-2005, 06:11 PM
nope that aint gonna work. im SURE it's the right one. if it wasnt for the other 'side'piece that goes on before the clip i would have it. it cant compress anymore, not unless i whip out some kind of mini 1-ton press. do i have to use the other side piece? so it's just like this--

side with pins attach -- through both inner links -- clip on outside

Cody_300ex
06-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I had that happen to me once. Forget it and just get a new chain or a master link of a stock honda quad. Thats what i did.:o

theTman
06-07-2005, 06:33 PM
i drilled the holes out a tiny bit....it was still a pain to get on but i got it then installed the C clip

450r#221
06-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Clamp it down with Vise grips and leave it alone for an hour.It will compress the O rings and the clip will go right on.

nosliw
06-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by theTman
i drilled the holes out a tiny bit....it was still a pain to get on but i got it then installed the C clip

that's what im going to have to do. i took it off the chain to see if i can get it together but it wont even go down enough to be flush with the side piece. i'll go drill it out a little bit now, but if i over drill it (to the point of there is little to no effort to get the side piece over the studs and it slides around) will it be OK?

thanks for all your help guys

nosliw
06-07-2005, 07:13 PM
a 7/32 drill bit worked perfect. perfect amount of drag. just though i'd post this just incase someone came across this thread and is having the same problem.

400exrules
01-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
a 7/32 drill bit worked perfect. perfect amount of drag. just though i'd post this just incase someone came across this thread and is having the same problem.

yah im having the same problem, its pissin me the hell off, it seems like its just impossible for me to buy any quad part without having to modify or fabricate it myself someway, to make it fit right.......wtf why cant manufacturers get their sh^t together.

Crazy Diamond
01-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Buy a chain press tool from RMATV for $15. They are supposed to be tight. The tool makes it ALOT easier.

Chango
01-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Go buy the tool i have one by motion pro it's nice and can fit in your pack for trail rides

rooster300ex
01-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Damn man you aren't having any kind of luck. that is one of the simplest things do do on a quad. lol

nosliw
01-22-2006, 11:00 PM
didn't know i needed special tools. also, when something that seems to be clear and simple doesn't work, it really screws with your head.

kind of an old thread :D

tprender
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
The trick to using vise grips is to put a small nut or socket over the post when you are trying to get it compressed. I now use a C-clamp with a small socket to compress the side plate when putting together a chain. Do one post then the other post.
I don't like the idea of drilling out the hole. It was made to be tight so that it will not come apart as you are riding.