PDA

View Full Version : How to get my brakes to work like new again (or better)?

JLanphear
06-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Any tips on getting my back brakes to work as good as new again? I have practically new pads on them, and they have been bled properly, but they just don't work all that great. They stop the quad alright, but they are nothing compared to my buddies new Z400...

Not only do they not work as good, you have to press the lever down a lot farther, which is annoying. I'd like there to be a lot less play in it.

Thanks for the help.

-Josh

FoxRacing81
06-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe a caliper rebuild kit?

Pappy
06-07-2005, 02:56 PM
check and make sure the sliders are clean of scale rust and or debris. lube them properly.

adding stainless brake lines will usually aid in fast braking due to the brake line not expanding under pressure.

you could also be needing to disassemble the caliper and replace the seals and maybe even the pistons if they have any signs of wear.

an adjustable brake lever will also help

Trevor
06-08-2005, 08:48 AM
I have the same problem with my 300ex

Chino
06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
check and make sure the sliders are clean of scale rust and or debris. lube them properly.

adding stainless brake lines will usually aid in fast braking due to the brake line not expanding under pressure.

you could also be needing to disassemble the caliper and replace the seals and maybe even the pistons if they have any signs of wear.

an adjustable brake lever will also help

i would also suggest putting the stainless brake lines on, they are more responsive over stock for sure.

quading is fun
06-08-2005, 02:09 PM
new brakes

toby400ex
06-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Id say new disks, quality of the brake pad can make a big difference too. I imagine with all the stoppies ur brakes are pretty worn.

tater_kamik
06-08-2005, 10:37 PM
you may need to do a rebuild, or possible change the fluid, also over time the crappy lines that are on quads get much worse, stainless brake lines are a must!

JLanphear
06-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks everybody....I think the biggest thing that bugs me about them is that you have to push the lever so far down before they actually work. Not only that, but you have to press it pretty hard too.

Where is the best place to shop for rebuild kits and such?

Thanks again to all.

-Josh

quading is fun
06-09-2005, 09:55 AM
when i needed new brakes on my '87 250x
all i did was replace my pads and discs and it was like brand new!!!

JLanphear
06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by quading is fun
when i needed new brakes on my '87 250x
all i did was replace my pads and discs and it was like brand new!!!

I've never replaced my discs....I think I have changed the pads twice....once was pretty recent, but my brakes have been pretty much the same since I've owned it.

Would really like to get 'em working good for sure.

VT250X
06-11-2005, 05:50 AM
I got a rear brake rebuilt kit for my 250X from www.hyperparts.com. They list a price of about $22. The part # on thier site is H333083. Same one as mine. I also rebuilt all of the brakes on my friends 250R with thier kits. They seem to be very good quality, but to be honest they are the only ones I have seen/used.

LM

MadMax27
06-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Dude, I remember visiting your site waaay back when I had my Banshee. For what you do too your brakes, Rebuild the caliper, stainless lines, and fresh pads and discs. Maybe some of those Galfer waves, they dissapate the heat real good. Then you should be good. Pulling your lever soo far in with "response" Id have to say the lines are expanding big time. Love the site dude...