PDA

View Full Version : Is +4axle and+2 arms to wide for trails/300EX

300exr
06-07-2005, 01:37 PM
I want to eventually get my 300 some new suspension axle and a-arms. My question is should i go with plus 2 arms and plus 4 axle or plus 1 arms and plus 2 axle? I mostly trail ride but its not all super tight trails, i just need more stability, even when i lean off the quad in a fast turn it just wants to push or roll.:confused:

drifterx
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
It'd be about as wide as a 400ex. I don't think i'd be a problem for woods at all...

ky300ex
06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm running +2 Laeger arms and a +4 Lonestar axle on my 330ex and they work great! I ride in some tight woods areas and have no problem at all with them.Also you'll love the added stability and difference they make on the 300.

TheJaspMan
06-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Why would you want to go wider in the woods? :confused:

Instead of going wide, why not fix your suspension to make your quad handle better?

ky300ex
06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by TheJaspMan
Why would you want to go wider in the woods? :confused:

Instead of going wide, why not fix your suspension to make your quad handle better?

I have 2 300ex's.One is an 04 that has a stock suspension.The other is an 00 330ex that has +2 arms,2+2 axle and Elka shocks.The 330 with wider arms and axle is much more stable than the stock, tippy 300ex suspension...especially in off camber situations.I've had the stock 300 tip over in places that my wider 300 has no problem at all with.As drifterx said,the 300 with +2 arms and axle will be about or the same width as a stock 400ex and they don't have any problems at all in the woods.

TheJaspMan
06-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ky300ex
I have 2 300ex's.One is an 04 that has a stock suspension.The other is an 00 330ex that has +2 arms,2+2 axle and Elka shocks.The 330 with wider arms and axle is much more stable than the stock, tippy 300ex suspension...especially in off camber situations.I've had the stock 300 tip over in places that my wider 300 has no problem at all with.As drifterx said,the 300 with +2 arms and axle will be about or the same width as a stock 400ex and they don't have any problems at all in the woods.

You it it pretty close. And I agree to some.

The main part of your response is that you have new shocks. By adding +2 arms you are changing the geometry of the front end. And if you fail to add new shocks you are going the wrong direction as far as safety is concerned.

It's true the 400ex has no problems in the woods.

The issue is the math.

The stock 300ex is 43.5
The stock 400ex is 45.3

By going to +2 arms you are now at 47.5. And that does not compensate for the sag the stock shocks will be adding.

***Remember +2 arms means you add two inches on EACH side. Making a total of four inches.

I'm not saying it cannot be done. But simply replacing the arms, and not the shocks as well, adds width not safety and stability.

True even at 47.5 or 48 inches you can ride XC. But I'm here to tell you, at some point you stand a better chance at clipping a tree. Especially as it gets rough and your shocks start wearing out. That comes from experience.

300exr
06-07-2005, 07:09 PM
I guess I didnt mention that if I get wider a arms Im goin to get it right and buy new shocks as well, Is anybody curently running plus 1 arms and a plus 2 axle? Also, since im only almost 16, im on a limited budget so ill probably also end up possibly buying used stuff, or I also know that burgard has good prices on and the g-force axle looks good as well, which would be my options instead of buying used.

Pappy
06-07-2005, 07:19 PM
we hooked up a 300ex with burgard +2 and retained the stock shocks. it was fine in the woods and didnt feel tippy anymore. a set of 4-1 rims would have narrowed it a touch.

48 inches and under is safe on most trails these days as long as you use your head.

TheJaspMan
06-07-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

48 inches and under is safe on most trails these days as long as you use your head.

Well that rules out about 80% of todays riders.

And any member of QZ!

hahahaha

ky300ex
06-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I agree with what you are saying 100%.Whenever you add width to the front end, it does change the geometry and you really should upgrade the shocks(elka, works etc..) for both safety and handling purposes.I'm running Elka triple rate shocks with the raised shock mount on mine and love the stablility and better overall ride they add along with the +2 arms.

Adding width will certainly increase your chances of clipping a tree,but i think of it the same way as someone stepping up from the 300ex to a larger quad(400ex,z400,450r,yfz)...after you ride it for a while you get use to the extra width.When i 1st rode my 330ex with wider arms and axle ,it took me a while to get use to the added inches in tight woods sections,so i took it slow until i felt comfortable with it.

bwamos
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
+4 Axle w/ +2,+1 A-arms w/ 3-2 offset Wheels in the front are the perfect setup for woods on a 300ex. or +3 a-arms w/ 4-1 offset front (same width, less feedback/fatigue)

And yes you'll have to have new shocks. Will be the best investment you ever made on a 300ex wether you widen it or not.

Pappy has a good point though.. the wider would just soften up the ride on the stocks. As long as you don't jump the atv it will be fine. I like to jump too much.. ;)

300exOH
06-10-2005, 08:37 PM
I have +2+1 burgards, a +4 durablue axle and elkas on mine and I think it's awesome in the woods. It is FAR better than it was stock especially when you throw it into a fast turn. :devil: