PDA

View Full Version : drilling holes in muffler increasing power?

bansheemorphine
06-07-2005, 08:52 AM
I have heard of some people drilling holes in the air box lid to increase air flow thus increasing power, i was wondering if drilling holes in the very end of the muffler increasing exhaust flow would increase power?

jak1389
06-07-2005, 09:19 AM
i am going to say not the best idea. i guess try it if its the stockc muffler but i dont think it will work.

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I think the same thing that jak1389

bwamos
06-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Depends on the ATV.
Most stock cans you can't really do anyting but replace.
Some you can use a holesaw to remove the baffle.
Some like the newer hondas you can get a different endcap to help a little.
Others the headpipe is the issue.
2-strokes... don't even think about it. Need a new system.

My reccomendation will always be a new slipon or full-pipe depending on the atv.

quading is fun
06-07-2005, 01:24 PM
my freind put a hole through his pipe...
it didnt work at all, i would suggest not putting a hole through it....

drifterx
06-07-2005, 01:44 PM
On a 400ex, there is suppose to be a mod where you take the muffler apart, and drill a hole in one of the walls somewhere. I've seen it somewhere, and i think it is suppose to help a little powerwise. If you put a hole in your muffler, i don't think performance would change, but it would make it louder. I did some stuff to my muffler on my 300, not for better performance, but to make it not sound like such a wuss. It sounds deeper now, and i'm happy with the sound. I'm getting an exhaust this summer though, as soon as my next paycheck comes in.

bansheemorphine
06-07-2005, 03:22 PM
i did try it i put muliple smaller ones around the end and it made it louder which i kindof like and gave it a lil more power

omaits
06-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Why not just remove the entire muffler? I bet that would increase air flow. I bet you could also save about 7 lbs doing that. haha

red2004 TRX450R
06-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by omaits
Why not just remove the entire muffler? I bet that would increase air flow. I bet you could also save about 7 lbs doing that. haha

I was just going to say that!

my firend did that on is DR250 or was it a 350??
any way it was the loudest thing i have ever heard!!!!

wilkin250r
06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Y'all can bash and flame me for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyways.

If you modify your stock exhaust, not for more power, but simply to make it louder, you're an a-hole.

Nobody likes loud exhaust. Mine is loud, I'll admit, but it's an unfortunate consequence of more power output. It's undesirable. However, I'm willing to have louder exhaust, because I would find it very difficult to be a competative racer without it.

A loud stock exhaust isn't "cool" or "awesome". Your neighbors hate you, other riders hate you, even I hate you. I'm willing to be loud and obnoxious for more power. You're loud and obnoxious just to be loud and obnoxious, without any redeeming qualities. I'm pissing people off in order to be faster, you're pissing people off just to piss people off.

You show up at my drag hill with a stock exhaust, I won't think anything of it, just another rider out having fun. But if you show up with a LOUD stock exhaust, I'll call you a homo right to your face.

parkers30
06-08-2005, 11:19 AM
^^^^ I'm with him

quading is fun
06-08-2005, 01:48 PM
i hate when ppl mod their stock exhaust to sound cooler.... y not just get a new pipe with alot more power... they always sound better then a stock one with holes through it anyways, and its so much simpler...

greg_gorrell
06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
before he got his white brothers, my buddy drilled a bunch of small holes in the end of his scramblers pipe which gave a little bit more bottom end. i noticed it and it sounded a little bit better.

omaits
06-08-2005, 08:40 PM
In response to the removing the muffler comment... I was riding with my brother on his Craptor adn the exhaust completely fell off. It was the loudest thing I ever heard. It sounded somewhere between a lawnmower and WW2 airplane. Needless to say, he didnt notice much of a power increase.

hondarider2006
06-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Your not going to gain anything. Leave the stock exhaust alone....if anything remove your lid and re-jet until you can afford a good slip-on or complete exhaust.

quading is fun
06-09-2005, 09:48 AM
some guy rides by my house every single day about 100 times on a MOPED!!! the thing has no exhaust at all and u can hear it from 100000000000000 miles away!!! he must really be trying to get as much power out of that lil thing as he can... he goes flyin down my road goin like 60mph!!!

loc_mon
06-09-2005, 10:56 AM
After spending $7500+ on my quad, I could careless if people thought my quad was to loud. That's their opinion!

What about Harley Davidsons? they have the loudess exhaust on there on the open road.

FoxRacing81
06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
If they made a silent pipe that gave me as much performance as a loud pipe, id buy it. Example, the Sparks pipe is the best pipe everyone says, but it is also loud. The FMF Q is a very quiet pipe, but it gives you no where near the performance of a Sparks.

What I do is, for trails, I throw the stocker on...that way I can ride basicly where ever without getting *****ed at. Then for racing, I throw the R4 on. Simple! Plus...I like riding trails with quiet pipes....incase people are hunting or something...atleast it gives me less of a chance of being shot!

hondarider2006
06-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by quading is fun
some guy rides by my house every single day about 100 times on a MOPED!!! the thing has no exhaust at all and u can hear it from 100000000000000 miles away!!! he must really be trying to get as much power out of that lil thing as he can... he goes flyin down my road goin like 60mph!!!

wow, and this has what to do with drilling holes in your exhaust:huh

quading is fun
06-10-2005, 10:15 AM
lol nothing really... its just loud and annoying

honda400ex2003
06-15-2005, 08:00 PM
It would also mess up the back pressure on the exhaust too and could make your valves wear out prematurly. Couldn't it? Plus the only good thing about the stock exhaust is that it is quiet. And it has a good punch right when you hit the gas for the first 20' then it sucks. Just my two cents though. steve

2004exrider
06-15-2005, 08:30 PM
It would also mess up the back pressure on the exhaust too and could make your valves wear out prematurly

nope just a myth, back pressure is needed but just a little to have it run good, what will mess up your valves is if you run it with no header because it will get hot then cool down really fast then hot again which will cause them to warp. just as long as you have enough exhaust pipe to keep the heat in it will be perfectly fine. 2 stroke diff story on other hand

honda400ex2003
06-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Ok thanks for the info on that. Sorry for the wrong info on the back pressure and the valves. Steve