PDA

View Full Version : 450R cutting out at random

sdxp787
06-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Guys, need some help. Me and 3 of my buddies all have 2005 450R's and they all cut out as if you had just blasted through a stream. They all seem to happen when going across rough terrain or jumping. None of the quads have any commonalities such as same mechanic, or same fuel station, etc. The cutting out lasts about 3-5 seconds and clears up. We might go another 10 minutes or 45 minutes without reoccurence. But it does keep happening. I have checked the carb, all electrical connection, vents, etc with no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?

I need to get this fixed ASAP because I am racing the Mountaineer GNCC in WV this weekend.

06-07-2005, 01:22 AM
i guarantee you that you all have this same problem. Clean your carb's & check the lines. The plastic in the gas tank seems to chip off (dont ask me how) and clogs up the fuel stream. __I heard there is a filter/screen at the bottom of the gas tank. check that

370kingR
06-07-2005, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by sdxp787
Guys, need some help. Me and 3 of my buddies all have 2005 450R's and they all cut out as if you had just blasted through a stream. They all seem to happen when going across rough terrain or jumping. None of the quads have any commonalities such as same mechanic, or same fuel station, etc. The cutting out lasts about 3-5 seconds and clears up. We might go another 10 minutes or 45 minutes without reoccurence. But it does keep happening. I have checked the carb, all electrical connection, vents, etc with no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?

I need to get this fixed ASAP because I am racing the Mountaineer GNCC in WV this weekend.

sounds to me like a 2005 problem because no one that has an 04 has this problem that im aware of.

Check your grounds for good contact. Also, there is a plastic splash plate that slips on around the main jet in the carb, make sure that it is in tact. Make sure that all vent lines are free of debris like mud and grit. If nothing works, take it back to the dealer and see what they can do.

tacundra
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
My '05 was also cutting out like you are describing.
No mods at all and my friend had an identical '05.
We knew it was something to do with the fuel so we took off the seats and compared the vents, lines, etc.

There is a rubber splash guard at the air intake and mine was installed incorrently. under hard acceleration or bumpy situations, it would cover the air intake and essentially "choke" the motor for air. I placed the guard in the correct place and VIOLA!

Maybe this will help.

nat3060
06-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I have a 2004, and mine kills at times.

Going hard, shift while turning, punch it and expect to keep going but instead you just die quickly, no sputtering but just a small clicking sound (almost like when you have your bike off and you open the throttle all the way and hear the carb slide open all the way ... that may be all it is) and it dies. Starts up right away.

Syrus
06-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by tacundra
My '05 was also cutting out like you are describing.

There is a rubber splash guard at the air intake and mine was installed incorrently. under hard acceleration or bumpy situations, it would cover the air intake and essentially "choke" the motor for air. I placed the guard in the correct place and VIOLA!

Maybe this will help.

I bet thats what your lookin for ! :)

tedscrappy300
06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
other people have been getting water in their gas tanks through the tank breather hose, because it is too long. I dont know if it is the problem, but its happened to other people.
Hope you solve your problem soon.
Good Luck at the Mountaineer I was there last year its a great track.
The Good Evening Ranch is awesome.

sdxp787
06-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Well, I don't know exactly what I did, but it seems to have gone away. I tested it today on our dyno and then took it to the woods. I didn't realize how fast these quads are. I hit 74mph on the dyno with a 13 tooth front sprocket.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses from you all. I really appreciate it. Those of you who are going to the Mountaineer, look for me on the starting line. I'll be number 324 in the Vet class. Black 450R with blue hipers, blue maier hood, and blue Cycra guards. Will have a yellow helmet on with red gear. Stop by and say Hi!!!!