PDA

View Full Version : Thicker Sub box louder?

TGW_400ex
06-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Well my L7 is making swiss cheese out of this ebay box I bought. A guy at a local audio shop said I should get a 1" thick mdf box for it. Would that make it louder and better sound quality?

06-06-2005, 09:50 PM
this is what you should do.. get 3/4 inch MDF and build a enclosure to the specs for that sub.. now.. to get 3 more db OUT OF THE BOX, you can double wall the enclosure.. which means just build another box around that one with 3/4 inch for a total of 1.5 inches thick.. this does work and is a oldschool audio trick to get more sound out of the entire system.

Jesse

Fender Bender
06-06-2005, 09:54 PM
the human ear wont notice the difference, only the mic. so unless you are competing i wouldnt worry about it.

TGW_400ex
06-06-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Fender Bender
the human ear wont notice the difference, only the mic. so unless you are competing i wouldnt worry about it.

I just dont want the box to break. I have had this box for 2 days and the screws worked loose a little and the board inside of the box for the port came loose and rattled like heck. I took it out and the screwed it back in and now I think it sounds quieter?

Fender Bender
06-07-2005, 06:04 AM
did you brace it? click (http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/bracing/index.html).

parkers30
06-07-2005, 08:42 AM
shouldn't it be glued to heck? screws won't hold it all by themselves

thomps6s
06-07-2005, 08:50 AM
The seams should be glued, this increases strength and decreases air leakage.

red2004 TRX450R
06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
If the box flexes or moves at all its junk! Get a new one and have a built to the specks of the sub!!!!
Box has to be totally ridged

Will sound a lot better!!!

Bass is not more than sound pressure if the box is moving you are loosing pressure

I would love to tell you about a "box" I helped build last year for 2 19" speakers and an amp rack for 32 amps and 24 batteries but then I would have to kill you!!!

:blah:

Scro
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
this is what you should do.. get 3/4 inch MDF and build a enclosure to the specs for that sub.. now.. to get 3 more db OUT OF THE BOX, you can double wall the enclosure.. which means just build another box around that one with 3/4 inch for a total of 1.5 inches thick.. this does work and is a oldschool audio trick to get more sound out of the entire system.

Jesse

I hate to tell you this, but you WILL NOT gain 3db by just doubling the box up. In fact, you will probably not see a gain anywhere with just the L7. Now if you had a more powerful sub like the DD 99 series or the MT 18, it may be better to double up on the baffle, just to make sure there is no flexing. But, there the gain will not be 3db's, maybe .3db's, and that's still a maybe.

duke416ex
06-07-2005, 01:39 PM
How big is the box, and is it a home made one or is it fabricated? There is a lot more to getting a ported box and putting the sub in it. Liek they have said, it needs to be built to spec, not only box size, but port size too. Have you thought bout taking the sub out and fiberglassing the seams to seal them up?

TGW_400ex
06-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
How big is the box, and is it a home made one or is it fabricated? There is a lot more to getting a ported box and putting the sub in it. Liek they have said, it needs to be built to spec, not only box size, but port size too. Have you thought bout taking the sub out and fiberglassing the seams to seal them up?

I don't think its home made.

440exnacsracer
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
fiberglassing??? wow, never went to that extreme lol, always just caulked the seams of my boxes and it always worked great. :rolleyes:

Fender Bender
06-08-2005, 06:03 AM
All you need to do is disassemble the box and glue all of the edges before you put it back together. Then inside the box, glue on all of the seems. You don't have to go to any extremes such as fiberglassing, if you arent competing it would be a waste of your time. You aren't going to get much sound quality out of an L7 anyways, so I wouln't worry much about that.

spincr4hire
06-08-2005, 08:31 AM
I built my L5 enclosure using 3/4" MDF, but its only an 8". It absolutely kills for an 8" sub, though.

Rdhanded2
06-08-2005, 01:32 PM
use liquid nails over the seams. works great

SixthFloorFreak
06-09-2005, 08:06 PM
is the box you have now MDF or particle board? if its particle board, throw it away and build or have built a nice ported box for that sub. absolutely no need for 1", 3/4" will suffice

TGW_400ex
06-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak
is the box you have now MDF or particle board? if its particle board, throw it away and build or have built a nice ported box for that sub. absolutely no need for 1", 3/4" will suffice
3/4 MDF