PDA

View Full Version : Gearing

Chef
09-16-2001, 10:43 AM
If i were to get a 14 tooth front sprocket and a 41 tooth rear sprocket, about what would my top end be? and does anyone have this setup?

nakomis0
09-16-2001, 02:02 PM
I'd guess about 45mph?

I'm sure someone has the gear ratio calculator web link they could post for us. (I have been wanting to find that again)

sprockets
small front = lower top speed
larger rear = lower top speed

09-16-2001, 03:14 PM
really low i would say put a 37 in back with a 16 up front since you have 51 hp it would pull it easily and the top end would be like 75

Chef
09-16-2001, 03:42 PM
i dont really care about the top speed, all i really am aiming for is to be able to climb out of those tree shots in the sand really well and accelerate really quickly, which it will with that gearing i think

Wheelie
09-16-2001, 05:09 PM
I have a good gear ratio calculator on my web site. It shows the stock gear ratios, and the ratio assuming a 14 tooth front with a stock rear. There is also a primary reduction (crankshaft to clutch basket) as well, I don't know the number off the top of my head, the page gives that figure as well. Any questions or problems please tell me.

As far as your gearing goes, if I were you, I would go with the 14 front and leave the stocker on back. That will save you money in sprockets and chains, and with the power you have, you won't have any problems (except keeping the front end on the ground). Good luck.

BTW-- Jeremiah's Off-Road (http://w3.gorge.net/jeremiah)

nakomis0
09-16-2001, 06:02 PM
Thats really low gearing Hott, you sure thats what you want?
Your' going to have to probably add a link in your chain.

I'm running a 16/36 tooth in the sand, and any other riding, trails, tight trails, whatever I'm running a 15/36 and never ever have a problem finding power.

15/36, is close to running a 16/38 (stock rear) I don't know dude just never heard of running such a small set-up.

Chef
09-16-2001, 06:20 PM
Thats really low gearing Hott, you sure thats what you want?

No, now that i know about what the top speed is going to be, im not doing that, i think i might either just get a 14 tooth in the front or go about in the middle on the rear sprocket. how does your bike pull the big hills nakomis?

nakomis0
09-16-2001, 06:52 PM
When I run the 16/36 thats strickly sand drags. It sucks on the sand hills.

the 15/36, seems to pull pretty well on all the sand hills I have come across at Silver Lake and Bulls gap. I do remember a few instances where it was a long, not very steep hill with lots of whoops, that I would have to downshift, and I felt it could have pulled a little better.

I haven't tried any smaller gearing than that.

One thing I have to say is watch what you do with your rear sprocket, make a good decision, depending on your riding style and such. Try and set it up so all you have to do is change your front sprocket for any gearing adjustments you need.

When I first went over to a 16/36 gearing everything was ok, until I tried to go to a 15/36, the chain wouldn't tighten, It sucked, so I'm like ok I'll just remove a link.... well you cant just remove one link you have to remove 2 at a time, so I did that.

Then I tried to go back to a 16 tooth and the chain was to short:grr so now I'm always running the 15 tooth, it pissed me off alot, now I have to get a new chain with the correct number of links, or find a different gear set up... still don't know what I'm going to do. and I havent road with my new carb enough to make a good decision yet. If I could do it all over again I would be running 16/38 gearing (if the case saver fits) with the 15 tooth front option. but I do like the feel of my current gearing alot (15/36). So just becareful what you change, save some headaches:)