PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing tie rods ball ends

bakeen
06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi! I got some +2 A-Arms (for my 400EX) and I need to get the ball joint ends off the stock tie rods to put on the +2 tie rods. I can't get the ends off the tie rods. I've placed the tie rod in a vice (holding the lock nut) and turning the ball end left (this is the outside of the tie rod where the threads should be right to tighten them) and it doesn't move at all. I end up using so much force it just moves the damn work bench. I tried tuning it the other way (which should be tightning it but just in case I'm wrong) and it does the same thing. I've tried this on both tie rods and both ends turning both ways... Nothing works. I put some WD-40 on them but it doesn't help. I tried having the vice hold the ball end and tightning the lock nut to get it away from the ball end but it doesn't move either. Anyone have a good suggestion for this?

FL426kid
06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
You have to loosen the locknut first and once you get the nut loose then the end will spin off.I dont rember wich is wich but one of the nuts turns clockwise and the other counterclockwise.So just set the end in the vise and loosen the nut.

bakeen
06-06-2005, 09:26 PM
The lock nut has no room between it and the ball end. So technically loosening it won't work because it has nowhere to go. If I try to tighten it to get it to go away from the ball end I just can't get it to move. I know the threads are different and I know which thread goes which way. The damn things just won't move.

bakeen
06-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I got them off! A friend suggested I put them in the freezer so the steel would contract. I put them in the freezer for a few hours and then took them out to the vice and I was able to get all 4 of them off. Thanks!

FL426kid
06-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Set the rod on the ground with a wrench on the end.stand on it.Put another wrench on the nut and and give it a good kick.Trust me i put new tie rods on less than two weeks ago and yes it was a pain but i got it off.And by the way theres not supposed to be any gap between the end and the nut.But you can get them loose because they were made that way.And if theres absolutly no way you can figure out some way to get them loose then take them to someone who knows what there doin.(HINT)TIGHTEN THE NUT

FL426kid
06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
AWSOME.