PDA

View Full Version : trick for installing rear shock???

Glamis400ex
05-24-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi gang,

I will be taking my rear shock to be re-valved here on Monday to match my triple w/ rezzie up front.

Well, I sucsessfully took it off and, just for kicks, tried to re-install, just to see how tough it will be. It looks like a pain. The holes wont line back up. I can get the top no prob, but the bottom is a little trickier.

I have the quad up on a 5 gal. bucket, raising all 4 wheels off the ground and put a jack under the swingarm for support.

NOTE: It is wise to first remove your skid plate before trying to remove the bottom bolt, thought I would pass on this little tip.

So, what's the trick to line up the holes? Sorry if this is a ridiculous post, but this is a first time job for me..........

Thx for any help...

Glamis

Glamis400ex
05-24-2002, 09:17 PM
also,

Is white Lithium grease ok to use for the needle bearings when I re-install?

Glamis

400exRacerX
05-24-2002, 09:18 PM
Get two milk crates and zip tie them together. Then put the quad on its grab bar. Put the crate underneath the quad and slowly tilt the quad on top of the crates. Then lift the swingarm up with your hand and install the shock. Its simple.

Norm

400exRacerX
05-24-2002, 09:20 PM
No,,,, just use regular wheel bearing grease.

Glamis400ex
05-24-2002, 09:21 PM
400ex RacerX

That's gonna be a little tough to get the quad off the 5 gal bucket, with the swing arm floppin around, just to put it on something even higher.............maybe I'm missing something

Glamis

SGA
05-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Just use the jack to slowly raise or lower the swing arm till the bolt hole lines up. Another handy trick is to use a tie strap between the grab bar and axel or swingarm when working. Also do not use white lithium grease in the needle bearings. Use wheelbearing grease.

Razorback
05-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by sgaexer
Just use the jack to slowly raise or lower the swing arm till the bolt hole lines up. Another handy trick is to use a tie strap between the grab bar and axel or swingarm when working. Also do not use white lithium grease in the needle bearings. Use wheelbearing grease.

yes, do what sgaexer says, it works perfectly with very little hassle.

PoopOna400EX
05-25-2002, 03:48 PM
You can also have someone lift up on the axle while your pushing the bolt, it's really not bad at all...

And a 6" Extension will help you take off the bottom bolt without worrying about your skid plate :)

I have a couple pics of my installation here:

http://www.measlywimp.com/jason/elka_suspension.htm

Good luck!

~Jason

Glamis400ex
05-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the info.

Poop: I was not able to get at the nut, even with an extention.......skid plate was still in the way.
I have the WB model, others may be accesible with the skid in place...

Glamis

PoopOna400EX
05-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Cool...well hopefully everything goes well :)

~Jason