PDA

View Full Version : Hotcam

FoxMxRiders
06-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Which cam is better to run with a 11:1 compression piston with the stock bore or the 406 ?? stage 1-2 or 3??

I run trail,pit and maybe will try tracks

400exrider707
06-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I have the 11:1 piston and run the stage 1 and LOVE the bottom end and mid of this motor. For 11:1 I wouldn't really go with the stage 3, but the stage2 might be OK, but I haven't heard to much on them yet.

FoxMxRiders
06-06-2005, 08:13 PM
someone can tell te difference between stage 1-2 and 3?

06-07-2005, 08:00 AM
I think

1-bottom-mid
2-mid-top end
3- dont know,

jak1389
06-07-2005, 08:55 AM
-stage 1 is good from bottom up to mid

-stage 2 is supposed to more of an all around power (but hasnt came out to public yet)

-stage 3 is good for mid to top

i just bought a je 10.8:1 87mm piston(for a 416) and a stage1 hotcam. it should be great for the bottom which is what i like best. if i think it is way too torquey i will just up a size tooth for the front sproket.

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
thanks for your answer

but for my type of riding,which stage will be the best??I like high rpm power but I don't think that will be usefull with my type of riding

What do you think?

bpimpdaddy21
06-07-2005, 11:39 AM
From the sounds of it, the 11:1 piston and the old Hotcams Stage 2, which is now the Stage 3 I think, will give you good all around power. You will get more low end from the piston, and the cam will give you the mid to top end you are looking for. I run this combo and I am very happy with it.

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by bpimpdaddy21
From the sounds of it, the 11:1 piston and the old Hotcams Stage 2, which is now the Stage 3 I think, will give you good all around power. You will get more low end from the piston, and the cam will give you the mid to top end you are looking for. I run this combo and I am very happy with it.

Even with the stock or the 406 bore??

Can you confirm that the stage 2 is now the stage 3?

And when you say Low end ... this is torque ?? I know that Mid is at half rpm and top is high Rpm then I suppose that low is at low rpm then torque Right?!?

Thanks

bpimpdaddy21
06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I am running this setup with the stock bore right now, and I definately notice a "Seat of the Pants" gain in my low-end power, the quad seemed to pull harder from low all the way up to the top end.

I am not sure how the new hotcams are setup, so I am not sure if what I have as the old stage 2 is now the stage 3 or what.

When most people refer to low-end, mid, or top-end, they are basically referring to the overall feel of the power in that rpm range. Say you had a rev limit of 10000 rpm, then low-end would be lets say anywhere from 1000-4000rpm, mid would be 4000-7000rpm, and top-end would be 7000-10000 rpm. I dont really look at it as the exact torque or hp there, just the actual power that I feel in the rpm range of the powerband. I hope I was able to help you out.

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
then which stage will be the best for my type of riding?

Someone can confirm that stage 2 is now stage 3??

Thanks alot for the answer :)

vinson581
06-07-2005, 01:04 PM
the old stage 2 is now a stage 3 yes, stage 1 is bottom end, stage 2 is top end, and stage 3 is a new cam geared towards top end, with a big bore and porting i belive!

im going 11:1 and stage 2 (the NEW stage 2 not the old stage 2)

you will love the stage 1 if you want bottom end, they hit hard and pull great, im so mixed on 1 or 2 right now because i love revving it out in 5th sometimes, but other times in tight spots, and whooped out sections i like the thought of bottom end, and just think about it its not good to rev the bike all the way out all the time, and thats where the stage 2 makes its power, so to ME its more wear and tear on the motor! i actually just think i answered my own question, i think the stage 1 will better suit me and not the stage 2.

v581

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Im confused .. I don't know what cam choose

What I found on hotcams web site :

Stage 1 Cam

Excellent midrange and top end power increase. Not recommended for big bore applications over 426cc. Does not use decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.

Stage 2 Cam

Excellent top end increase. Suitable for motocross or desert racing. Uses stock valve springs and rockers

Stage 3 Cam

Recommended for motocross or desert racing. Recommended for big bore and stroker applications. Does not use decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.

I don't have a big bore and a stroker then stage 3 is not for me

Stage 1 cam is for Mid to Top end and I can't use it over 426cc,maybe 426cc will work

Stage 2 cam is for top end and I can use it witht the stock bore,416,426 ...

For Trail,Pit and tracks riding ... I think that the stage 2 will be better because the 11:1 piston will help me in low end and the cam in the top end ... what do you think?

400exrider707
06-07-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by vinson581
the old stage 2 is now a stage 3 yes, stage 1 is bottom end, stage 2 is top end, and stage 3 is a new cam geared towards top end, with a big bore and porting i belive!

im going 11:1 and stage 2 (the NEW stage 2 not the old stage 2)

you will love the stage 1 if you want bottom end, they hit hard and pull great, im so mixed on 1 or 2 right now because i love revving it out in 5th sometimes, but other times in tight spots, and whooped out sections i like the thought of bottom end, and just think about it its not good to rev the bike all the way out all the time, and thats where the stage 2 makes its power, so to ME its more wear and tear on the motor! i actually just think i answered my own question, i think the stage 1 will better suit me and not the stage 2.

v581

You contradicted yourself in that statement there. You said the old stage 2 is now the stage 3, which is correct, but then you said that stage 3 is a new cam geared towards top end.
Stage 1 - No loss of bottom end power
stage 2 - new cam for all around use with stronger pull on top
stage 3- big bores and strokers for top end power.

Now all of these speculations are kind of misleading as most of these cams will give you a boost on top end, its basically just choosing how much of a boost on top end you want, but at the same time the more boost on top, the more loss on bottom, so make up your own mind as to which cam is right for you, but personally I wouldn't go with the stage 3.

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
then the stage 2 with the all around power and top will be better for me?!?

jak1389
06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
i would say the stage 2 is good for you then. the only problem with that is that no store has them available yet. they have not been yet relased to the public. i went to order one from c&d racing and they did not know when they would be available to purchase so i just went with the stage 1. you might be available to buy it off the hotcams website becasue thats what it looks like, but i am not sure.

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 03:53 PM
where can I get a hotcam stage 2 ?? someone know?

jak1389
06-07-2005, 03:54 PM
you cant right no. but try looking at the hotcams website.

FoxMxRiders
06-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Maybe in fews week or months it will be available?!?

blue416ex
06-07-2005, 07:32 PM
if your interested in mine i have the old stage 2 the new stage 3 for sale 110 shipped to your door used 3 times not the right cam for me but you said you like high RPM power :D new they are i think 180 or you could buy mine wich is the same for 110 shipped :D

FoxMxRiders
06-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Someone know when the new stage 2 will be availlable?

Blue416ex : Sorry im not interesst by your old stage 2