PDA

View Full Version : 450r handlebars, seems like such a simple thing but...

rtallmansu
06-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Ok, so my TRX450r is in the garage with its third pair of bent stock handlebars! Do I ride to hard and crash to often, yes but that’s not the point. Does anyone know of a better solution out there than the stockers? I would try any of the 100 different bars at the local shop but they don’t have an answer for what to do with the ignition switch and coolant over temp light that are mounted with the stock bars. I know, what do you need the ignition switch for? Well with my friends it can be a good safety feature but honestly I could live without it. I would really like to keep the over temp light though, seems like a really bad idea to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nacs400ex
06-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Well I would definetly recommend getting some aftermarket bars, such as TAG, PRO TAPER, ETC..

If your wanting to keep your dummy lights, I would countersink them into a steel/aluminum made mount. Just cut out a square peice, size up the hole for your lights, then mount it in your handle bar clamp. I did this with my killswitch, why buy a mount when you can EASILY make one. I have seen some people mount their lights into their hoods and/or fenders.

woodsZrider
06-06-2005, 07:22 PM
yea i agree.........
but if you don't, i have some stock bars i will sell ya....;)lol

mike nash
06-06-2005, 07:27 PM
I zip tyed the light and ignition just out of sight under the front hood. But I also have a roll stem so I can still see light when it comes on.

rollie
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
just buy some renthals, and grab a pro design killswitch and take the key right out, also i would take all the other lights off..JMO

rtallmansu
06-06-2005, 07:47 PM
I appreciate the comments. I would like to keep both the switch and light if possible so I guess I will be fabricating some kind of mount, thanks for the input. It just seems like there would be something out there that would accomadate for them, but then again I guess most guys switching out are racing. What is the difference in strength from stock to aftermarcket? If the stocks are stronger I might just buy that pair off of you. :o)

rollie
06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by rtallmansu
I appreciate the comments. I would like to keep both the switch and light if possible so I guess I will be fabricating some kind of mount, thanks for the input. It just seems like there would be something out there that would accomadate for them, but then again I guess most guys switching out are racing. What is the difference in strength from stock to aftermarcket? If the stocks are stronger I might just buy that pair off of you. :o)

aftermarket bars are wayyyy stronger, ive fliped my qua many times and my stem bent before the bars did:D

rtallmansu
06-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
aftermarket bars are wayyyy stronger, ive fliped my qua many times and my stem bent before the bars did:D

Not that is what I need! What brand of bars are you useing?

06-06-2005, 10:35 PM
get the flexx co's if you want some really good bars...a cheap alternative is renthals standards

Fasstco Flexx bars (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124500)

gojk
06-06-2005, 10:55 PM
My renthals have been upside down a few times. I have yet to see them even get slightly tweaked.

ex kid
06-07-2005, 05:43 AM
i have Pro Tapers on mine and use the stock plasitc piece that hold the ignition switch and temp light.

ex kid
06-07-2005, 05:44 AM
BTW they are the 7/8 bar with a crossbar pad, not fatbars.

Flynbryan19
06-07-2005, 06:08 AM
A company called TrailTech offers many different style and bend aftermarket bars that are WAY stronger than stock and even sell an aftermarket clamp kit for about $80 that allows you to retain all your lights and key. I can't believe no one has bothered to tell you yet. Go search online for Trail Tech. They have a very good site.

FoxRacing81
06-07-2005, 06:30 AM
We did something to my friends 450r. He didn't wanna remove that black piece either...so we took the crossbar pad off of his Pro Taper 7/8s LOL. It worked fine, until he rolled it. It made the bars lose all there strength so they bent a little. So we put the pad back on, and just took the black piece off, drilled a hole in the plastic on the right and mounted the key, and threw the temperature light underneath the hood. I suppose if you want to keep the temp light, you could drill a hole in the plastic for it too...? Just an Idea...

-Justin

rollie
06-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Not that is what I need! What brand of bars are you useing?

Renthal fatbars :cool:

rtallmansu
06-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
A company called TrailTech offers many different style and bend aftermarket bars that are WAY stronger than stock and even sell an aftermarket clamp kit for about $80 that allows you to retain all your lights and key. I can't believe no one has bothered to tell you yet. Go search online for Trail Tech. They have a very good site.

Now that is exactly what I was looking for, I knew it was out there just had to ask the right group! I could have fabricated on myself and had it be functional but it would have looked like a sack of a**holes! Thank you to everyone for the lesson in handlebars!

rtallmansu
06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by MX610EX
We did something to my friends 450r. He didn't wanna remove that black piece either...so we took the crossbar pad off of his Pro Taper 7/8s LOL. It worked fine, until he rolled it. It made the bars lose all there strength so they bent a little. So we put the pad back on, and just took the black piece off, drilled a hole in the plastic on the right and mounted the key, and threw the temperature light underneath the hood. I suppose if you want to keep the temp light, you could drill a hole in the plastic for it too...? Just an Idea...

-Justin

That sounds like a good idea too, but I don't have front fenders. :ermm:

dpizz450
06-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Tell me this, how much money are you looking to throw out there? I would suggest a pair of Tag handelbars. Then they make some pretty trick mounts but are kinda expensive. like 70 bucks. But it's what i got. I will take a pic tomorrow of my set up for ya. Check out this site, i think its exactly what your looking for. http://rockymountainatv.com/Machine_Show.atv?cat=H&type=HANDLEBAR&name=Trail+Tech+Billet+Handlebar+Clamp%2FTrail+Tec h+Bars&make=HONDA&model=TRX450R&year=2005&status=

woodsZrider
06-09-2005, 09:41 PM
i love my tags...
great bars...;)

omaits
06-10-2005, 06:27 AM
I also use Tag bars and have rolled many times with no bending. Do not get FMF bars. They are over priced and I had a pair snap at the bar clamp. They seemed awfully brittle. Especially since it wasnt a bad wreck at all.

FoxRacing81
06-10-2005, 06:52 AM
That sounds like a good idea too, but I don't have front fenders. :ermm:

They were not on the front fenders. We put it on the plastic piece right next to the hood.

FoxRacing81
06-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by omaits
I also use Tag bars and have rolled many times with no bending. Do not get FMF bars. They are over priced and I had a pair snap at the bar clamp. They seemed awfully brittle. Especially since it wasnt a bad wreck at all.

hmm..interesting...My Factory 909's have been great...and my quad HAS been rolled! Never even bent them.

ReconRider25
06-10-2005, 07:34 PM
alot of aftermarket bars will still allow for the switches/lights. unless you want a lower dirtbike bend with a crossbar.

Out_Sider
06-12-2005, 02:32 PM
im curious about what to do with the light box thing on the left side of the handlebars..what do i do with all those wires on the 450r?