PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of this virus??

QuadJunkies
06-06-2005, 01:29 PM
I got notification from Norton that I had a virus, yet when I done a scan, Notron detected it, but didnt remove it. I tired to do it my myself but it wont let me . So I went to symantec and done a scan and they said they detected

C:\Program Files\AIM\Sysfiles\WxBug.EXE is infected with Adware.Minibug

I couldnt find any indo on this on the the site for a removal tool??? I do notice that my computer says its not connected and cause me to have to do shutdowns to restart, I also have to unplug my Modem at times or it wont work.

Any clues??

TRX_450
06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
ok man...no offense but norton is JUNK.....the last year or so they been lazy and now rnt even competetive....so....go to www.pandasoftware.com and download the trial...if u like it, buy it its worth every penny

Scro
06-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
ok man...no offense

i believe the right terminology would be "lady"

Plante400
06-06-2005, 03:09 PM
haha panda softwear sounds reliable??
hhahah

Ridin' Jesse
06-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Plante400
haha panda softwear sounds reliable??
hhahah
hahaha
http://www.starman417.com/Owned%20Baby.jpg

n00b on a 400ex
06-06-2005, 08:58 PM
agreed, notron is garbage, my dad thinks its great because you have to pay for it :rolleyes:

ad-aware and spybot are some good choices

Doober
06-06-2005, 09:00 PM
i use ad-aware best thing i have gotten...and i got it free.

just go to download.com and search it up and download it works great

450Racer
06-06-2005, 09:05 PM
this thing must be huge! i just got it and it pretty much destroyed my aim. it sucks!

coryatver
06-06-2005, 09:15 PM
I found these directions on this site:
http://www.thomas.edu/it/faq/viruslist.asp

If Symantec identifies spyware on your computer that is not removed automatically, use the following instructions to remove the infection:

Adware.Minibug

1. Click Start, Run. Type command (without quotes) and click OK.
2. In the command prompt window, type in exactly: regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\minibugtransporter.dll", and press enter. Click OK when the file has been un-registered.
3. Next, in the command prompt window, type in exactly: del "C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\minibugtransporter.dll". and press enter.
4. Next, type exit in the command prompt window and press enter.

There ya go.

oh and also ad aware and spybot are not virus protection they are just tools to remove spyware. Norton is really overpriced and a rip off and the design of the program is horrible in my opinion. They put it on most new computers and people just pay for it when there free subscription runs out cause they feel they have no other choice. There are virus scans available for free. I use AVG anti virus and run a free zone alarm firewall and use mozilla firefox browser. If you have those things and keep them updated you will not get a virus.

QuadJunkies
06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by n00b on a 400ex
agreed, notron is garbage, my dad thinks its great because you have to pay for it :rolleyes:

ad-aware and spybot are some good choices I have Spybot AND Adaware, but they havent done me much good lately I guess... :ermm: Ive had adaware for a long tine.

QuadJunkies
06-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by 450Racer
this thing must be huge! i just got it and it pretty much destroyed my aim. it sucks! Igot a message of some type about Aim too!!! :huh

QuadJunkies
06-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
There are virus scans available for free. I use AVG anti virus and run a free zone alarm firewall and use mozilla firefox browser. If you have those things and keep them updated you will not get a virus. You totally lost me .... :o :p Ive heard of firefox but no very little about this stuff.... :confused:

QuadJunkies
06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by coryatver
[B]I found these directions on this site:
http://www.thomas.edu/it/faq/viruslist.asp

If Symantec identifies spyware on your computer that is not removed automatically, use the following instructions to remove the infection:

Adware.Minibug

1. Click Start, Run. Type command (without quotes) and click OK.
2. In the command prompt window, type in exactly: regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\minibugtransporter.dll", and press enter.

I just get a file called EBD there is no command box.....

gojk
06-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Try deleting the file in safemode. If you don't know how to do this. Just press F6 a few times right before windows starts loading on the machine. Also, coryatver gave some good advice. His instructions should work. What is happening is that dll file holds that file open so windows won't let you delete it. Unregistering the dll and then removing the file will get rid of the file.

Here is the doc that symantec has created to get rid of this.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.minibug.html

I would recommend dropping symantec and downloading the free version of AVG. AVG is the only virus scan program I have used lately that isn't overly resource intensive. Panda will use alot of resources.

gojk
06-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Also, please post what operating system and what type on internet connection you have.

thomps6s
06-07-2005, 07:29 AM
QJ,
Download Avast Antivirus Home Edition. It is free and works awesome.
Also Download Mozilla's Firefox browser and use it in place of Internet explorer.

There are other threads on these products out here too.

QuadJunkies
06-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by gojk
Also, please post what operating system and what type on internet connection you have. I have XP and Cable MOdem.
Can using Limewire cause me to pick up mroe viruses?? I NEVER usee to get stuff until I started using Limewire.

I called and was going to have Norton walk me threw this ( I also found in my norton scan report that I have the W32.Nesky too it didnt quarentine!:mad: ) but I am NOT paying them 69.95 for it ....! :grr: I guess Ill try and figure this out w/ all your hepl guys... Thanks ;)

QuadJunkies
06-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by thomps6s
QJ,
Download Avast Antivirus Home Edition. It is free and works awesome.
Also Download Mozilla's Firefox browser and use it in place of Internet explorer.

There are other threads on these products out here too. Where do I go for Mozillas browser? Is it easy to install. I hate doing this new stuff when I have no idea what Im doing... lol :huh

thomps6s
06-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Where do I go for Mozillas browser? Is it easy to install. I hate doing this new stuff when I have no idea what Im doing... lol :huh

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html download and install the home edition. Also, you can't run avast and norton at the same time, they will conflict with each other.

These are only suggestions, take them as you wish.

You definately need to clean your viruses first, but firefox will help allot with spyware and pop ups.

I had norton and I uninstalled it and installed avast, it works great for me and I know many others that love it as well.

ballisticpb
06-07-2005, 10:28 AM
ok starting at the top... norton is not all that bad you have paid for it. use it till it expires. then i would suggest AVG. the "Adware.Minibug virus" you have is just adware related. my sugestion is to download microsoft anti spywarefrom here (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx). install>update that should remove minibug.... as for the netsky. that is one of the more difficult viruses to remove. i would sugest downloading the netsky removal tool from here (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxNetsky.exe.) if it asks to boot into safe mode it is the F8 key not the F6 that was said before. let me know if you are still having issues.

gojk
06-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I have XP and Cable MOdem.
Can using Limewire cause me to pick up mroe viruses?? I NEVER usee to get stuff until I started using Limewire.

I called and was going to have Norton walk me threw this ( I also found in my norton scan report that I have the W32.Nesky too it didnt quarentine!:mad: ) but I am NOT paying them 69.95 for it ....! :grr: I guess Ill try and figure this out w/ all your hepl guys... Thanks ;)

Is this XP pro or Home. If you right click on "my computer" and go to properties it will specify. If it is pro one of use could log on to it and try and clean it for you. If it is home, you could download VNC and one of us could clean it for you.

Cleaning a virus off is sometimes the most difficult thing you could do with a computer, because it isn't always known what all it doesn't to the machine. The first thing that should be done with any XP machine is turn off system restore before you start. If you don't, the virus will just stay in there(Virus scans can't remove them out of there) and then reinfect the machine as soon as you are done removing it.

QuadJunkies
06-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ballisticpb
ok starting at the top... norton is not all that bad you have paid for it. use it till it expires. then i would suggest AVG. the "Adware.Minibug virus" you have is just adware related. my sugestion is to download microsoft anti spywarefrom here (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx). install>update that should remove minibug.... as for the netsky. that is one of the more difficult viruses to remove. i would sugest downloading the netsky removal tool from here (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FxNetsky.exe.) if it asks to boot into safe mode it is the F8 key not the F6 that was said before. let me know if you are still having issues. thank youy VERY much... Im working on it right now ;)

QuadJunkies
06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by gojk
Is this XP pro or Home. If you right click on "my computer" and go to properties it will specify. If it is pro one of use could log on to it and try and clean it for you. If it is home, you could download VNC and one of us could clean it for you.

Cleaning a virus off is sometimes the most difficult thing you could do with a computer, because it isn't always known what all it doesn't to the machine. The first thing that should be done with any XP machine is turn off system restore before you start. If you don't, the virus will just stay in there(Virus scans can't remove them out of there) and then reinfect the machine as soon as you are done removing it. Do I keep system restore off INDEFENATLY??? I did turn it off the first time I ran the removal tool for the Netsky virus(thats whatNorn suggested I do) but Im assuming it didnt work or I got it back again :(
BTW.. I have XP home Edition ;) again ,thaks for all your help guys, Im not the brightest when it comes to computers...:o

ballisticpb
06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
i suggest that you turn on system restore after virus removal... it does work and is helpfull but while removing a virus it needs to be turned off.

gojk
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ballisticpb
i suggest that you turn on system restore after virus removal... it does work and is helpfull but while removing a virus it needs to be turned off.

Word.