PDA

View Full Version : Leaking oil from Front Sproket..

Racing Rice
05-24-2002, 07:00 PM
I just got finished replacing the left Crank case cover gasket of my 250X, started it up and its still leaking oil. :(

So I started looking at it really good and noticed that it looked wet from oil under the front sprocket I put a rag under the sprocket and let it run for a little while. It stopped leaking. Pulled the rag out and sure enough it had fresh oil all over it.

Where would it be leaking from? I would imagine there would be some seal in there somewhere, how hard is it to get to? If I take the front sprocket off will I beable to change it or is it more involved then that? Also I can wiggle the front sprocket a little is this common?

Any help Id appreciate it. :(

300exdriver
05-24-2002, 08:36 PM
dude i have the same problem, but mine just started i need to know how to replace it!!!can you help me?

Racing Rice
05-24-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 300exdriver
dude i have the same problem, but mine just started i need to know how to replace it!!!can you help me?

As soon as I find out Ill be more then happy too...

Chef
05-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Has your chain ever come off? It could be a cracked case...there are people on the board who know how to fix this for cheap...let them get into this thread..

Racing Rice
05-24-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Alky472
Has your chain ever come off? It could be a cracked case...there are people on the board who know how to fix this for cheap...let them get into this thread..

The chain hasnt come off since Ive had it, and it just seems like it started leaking. Atleast I hope its not a Cracked case anyway.

flyin300
05-24-2002, 09:25 PM
speaking from experience, if you did crack your case there is only a couple of options you have...
1) Take the entire crank case off and go to someone who knows how or welds aluminum..
2) Use JB weld, which won't hold long due to the pressure on the case.
3) Get a new case... Not the most favorable option for your wallet; but all in all the best option for your quad is to get a new side case..... I had to get a new side case and it hasn't leaked a drop.. and when looking at the old case I found that I can move the cracked part of my case with little trouble at all..
I hope your problem isn't a crack because it is really a pain in the *****

Racing Rice
05-24-2002, 09:53 PM
Any ideas for if its not a cracked case?

flyin300
05-24-2002, 10:52 PM
well if its not cracked....It has to be something interna... a seal would be my guess...

Guy400
05-25-2002, 04:46 AM
Yes, there is a seal on the sprocket shaft and it's likely gone bad. Buy a Clymer's manual for $28 (the best mod for any quad IMO) and have at it.

400exredrider
05-25-2002, 12:12 PM
what it sounds like is a cracked case if your sprocket is loose thats not normal and like i said my best bet is a cracked case but its hard to tell without looking at it..

honda400zx
05-25-2002, 04:32 PM
my friends blaster leaked from that spot and the shop fixed it, it most likely is the seal thats wat was wrong with the blaster. alaso the wiggling of the front sproket IS normal so dont get exiced:p

RdingManiac420
05-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Pop off your front sprocket and get the seal out. It is a 12 dollar part and when you get a new buy about 2 extras because it is a common thing to go wrong with the 250x.

R-Crazy
05-26-2002, 07:38 PM
i had a buddy w/ a 250x and the same thing happened to him. just replace the seal.

dave

chris29
05-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Make sure your bottom bolt is in where you put your case saver on. If you don't have the bolt in where the case saver is it will spray out oil while it is running but not when it is not running.

Racing Rice
05-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks alot guys youve all been a big help..

"BLAHH"300!!
05-27-2002, 10:36 AM
2) Use JB weld, which won't hold long due to the pressure on the case.
hey man. i got a hole in my case just the other day. (chian dugg a hole in it)
how "TEMPORARY" is this fix...
one hour? one day? one week? only time will tell? use an aluminum welder and be done with it?

i'm probably ganna weld it anyway, but how long will J.B.WELD keep it from leaking. if it'll hold it tight for about 3days- a week i'll go ahead and do it, but if it's like one day's worth of riding i don't want to put that goope on there and have to clean it all off before i weld...
let me know...

deansfastway
05-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Make sure that the shaft doesnt wobble or move around , if youre replacing that seal , if it does the tranny needs a new bearing (these can wear out from the chain being too tight, tight chain can also crack the cases) Your bike is a 92 if its real worn out (blow by) that could contribute to leaking seals & gaskets. HONDA sprockets (exc CR type) will wobble slightly on the transshaft. Hopefully you just blew a seal and didnt get the shaft.

tkatka70
08-03-2002, 06:58 PM
i have the exect same probleing with my 250X i got it sort of riped apart in the garage now and just followed it to the sproket about 10-15 mins ago and i thought i remember seeing this post so i logged on. Now what should i do about it replace what seal be very detailed.

tkatka70
08-03-2002, 08:23 PM
ok i just got back in from outside and i found that my chain must of put a hole in the case. Its about a 1/2 by 1/2 hole. SO i put some stuff i found in my dads tool box called Magnum Steal. I'm letting it sit over night and i will tell you guys if it holds up tomarrow. I work at a Hardware store anyway and theres a ton of epoxys there so i will check them out tomarrow. I get off at 3 p.m. so i can check out how that stuff works. Or i might just wake up early. Did anyone of you guys put anything on there. I heard that the JB weld stuff does not work to good. People still buy it though were i work.

cya

Red Rooster
08-04-2002, 11:34 AM
The c/s seal went out on my 300, and I just pryed it out with a small screwdriver. The new one just slid right in (with a little greese like the clymer manual says). What happened is that I didn't have my carb vent hoses ziptied down good, and the chain grabbed it and eventually it wore the c/s seal into 2 pieces.

tkatka70
08-05-2002, 12:31 PM
That Magnum Steal seems to work good. THe first time i patched it with that stuff it steal leaked though so i tryed it agian and no oil leaking. It did drip oil a little at first but i think that was just oil that was from there before. I cleaned it all up and took it for a little ride today and it seems to be all sealed up now. I will keep you guys updated. THE stuff i used is called Magnum Steal. Comes in plastic tube and is roled up inside there.

ALSO i heard there was something called a Case Saver. It's suppose to prevent things like this from happening. Where do i get one.

tkatka70
08-05-2002, 08:42 PM
What kind of medel is that anyway. What kind of metal makes the case. Could you weld it. And how. How much do you think it will cost.

That epoxy seems to hold good but i might get it welded just to be safe.