PDA

View Full Version : 400ex for XC, or too outdated?

ATVGurl
06-06-2005, 07:49 AM
I just had my 2005 400ex stolen. The chances of finding it are slim to none, so I will probably have to buy another bike. I know this comparison is getting old, but with my specific variables, I was wondering which bike you all would recommend based on your experiences with your own.

I race harescrambles, I'm 5' 2", 115lbs w/all gear. I race with others in the women's class on z400's, kfx400's, 400ex's, 450r's & yfz450's.

So I could go out and re-create my 400ex that I had (mods below), or I could start over with something different. I am being told that I should go with the z/kfx because it has more power. I REALLY loved my 400ex so I want to know any/all the reasons I should switch. I do NOT want a 450. I use reverse a LOT in bottlenecks, etc. and don't want to go without it.

I'm considering a 2005: KFX400 / Z400, Predator, or 400EX

THANKS for any input!!!

bloodhound400
06-06-2005, 07:55 AM
defanatly no polaris and i would stay away from kaw & suz.i would just do the 400 again if you were happy with it,i think the 400 is more reliable than any of the bikes u listed,jmo

parkers30
06-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I'd say get a Z, I really loved my 400ex and all but my dad's z is alot nicer, and has a little more power, his is an 03

if you were to get an 05 Z you could also have C and D rebuild/respring the shocks for your weight for around $500? as oppossed to having to buy all new shocks for the ex, JMO

bloodhound400
06-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by parkers30
I'd say get a Z, I really loved my 400ex and all but my dad's z is alot nicer, and has a little more power, his is an 03

if you were to get an 05 Z you could also have C and D rebuild/respring the shocks for your weight for around $500? as oppossed to having to buy all new shocks for the ex, JMO yea but is your ex an 05 ,because the 05 is like night and day compared to my 03

Shawn H
06-06-2005, 08:16 AM
IMO

You dont need any more power all its going to do is tire you out quicker. The Z and its clones are nice but they dont handle as good as a EX IMO. They are taller and feel more top heavy too.Being as small as you are I dont think it would fit ya the same.

Besides you have been on the EX forever there would be no getting used to its riding style.

You could do a simple hop up to the EX and make it have more power.

bloodhound400
06-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm
IMO

You dont need any more power all its going to do is tire you out quicker. The Z and its clones are nice but they dont handle as good as a EX IMO. They are taller and feel more top heavy too.Being as small as you are I dont think it would fit ya the same.

Besides you have been on the EX forever there would be no getting used to its riding style.

You could do a simple hop up to the EX and make it have more power. couldnt have said it any better myself!!

smr
06-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by bloodhound400
couldnt have said it any better myself!!

I agree with both of you.

With your size I would recomend to 400ex hands down.

mikeracerx66
06-06-2005, 04:36 PM
I have seen you ride, jump on something new and go out and win, you can do it!

Bill Fuller
06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
If you want reverse than I would say go with the Suzuki.It's obviously a potent machine with a little $$(Yosh 450).Liquid cooled,piggy back shocks are also a plus over the Honda.I can't believe Honda screwed up on this one either,why not put the resivior shocks on the 400ex when they did the updates.The EX is the only machine in the stock class that doesn't have resivior shocks??Don't get me wrong I loved my 400ex it's just that I think the Suzuki is a better buy for the $$.

And before anyone says it I know the 400ex has reverse.

Luecker
06-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Go sit on a Z and see how ya like it. The Z's seat is narrower than the EX's and a little taller. Clutch pull on the Z is easier. Throttle is also easier and I believe is one of the best out there.
There is a little bit of a handlling difference but it is not as noticable as comparing an EX to a Raptor.

You may just want to stick with the EX though because like Snowgasm said you already know how to ride it and get it ready for the race.

Also I would get some sort of Security systme so you can catch whoever has an obsession for your EX's!!

montycarlo
06-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Angela, I was recommended to buy a 'old style' 400ex by Johnny K himself. He was even looking for one for me! They still have enough to win a race and there are a ton of cheap parts out there. You need a 400ex. :D

I only bought my Z because I was flubbering around on ebay and kinda snookered myself into buying a new Z. I had no intention of buying a new quad at all. Lucky for me I love it so far. :ermm:

400ex!

Everything Lueker said up there about the Z ^^^^^ is true! :cool:

QUADROOKIE
06-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Honestly, everyone so far has excellent points. IMO, the only advantages the Z has over the EX is 1. Liquid cooling and 2. Looks.--Yes the rezzie shocks are a little better, but most people are gonna buy aftermarkets anyway. And like was stated, you are very familiar with the ergos/handling/set-up on the Honda. I say go with the EX.

Johnny & Monica
06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
I had a Suzuki with zero preload Elkas and I loved it. It took away the feeling of sitting high and helped keep the front end on the ground. Johnny is a Honda man all the way even when he strayed to the yfz and predator.

400exmom
06-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Ang~*
if your going to stay with a 400 i would stick with the EX!

but then again... you did kick all the girls ***'s at bussey last year on a Kawi~*:)

Tattooed Trash
06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I would choose a Z400- I love the 400ex( I have 2 of them ) but the Z has great and noticible power, ride heigth could be an easy fix and also I'd upgrade the CDI box- it rev's way to quick and ur on the on the rev limiter too fast. Its almost a 400ex clone except the ride heigth. Go for the Z- you wont be unhappy with it- except when it comes to the high priced OEM parts.

Flynbryan19
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I've had the oppertunity to ride both an 04'Z and an 04'Ex. Of the two I (personally) like the 400ex better. I like the ex better because it sits lower and corners better, but if you go with an ssd suspension setup that point is trivial. I also like the power curve and the heavier flywheel weight of the ex over the Z. I'm sure the Z can be made to be more torquey, but in stock form I'd go with the Ex.

ATVGurl
06-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your input!!! I was watching this daily to see what people had to say!!

I went with the '05 400ex again, just like the one I had. I raced it in stock form yesterday at Bussey and LOVED it. I'm glad I got it!!! :devil:

Shawn H
06-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Good choice:cool:

Did ya hire a armed guard to watch over it?:p

parkers30
06-13-2005, 05:55 PM
you stayed right on Kim's butt even on the stock bike, great job :muscle: