PDA

View Full Version : Header pipe major situation

jaysun
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
I recently bought a 1999 400 ex for $500. It is in good condition but has been rode hard. I was switching out the exhaust on it, and when detaching the header pipe. I ended up 3 for four on breaking the bolts. How much of a problem have I gotten myself into??

Also I recently sent it into a local machanic for some valve noises. He adjusted the valves but it still has the noise. It still has good reponse and power. Any suggestions?? He thinks the head is gone and I'm not to great with engine diagnostics. After him sitting on the bike for 2 months, and giving me the run around. I went down and pulled it out of his shop . Now I'm thinking of just running it the way it is.

Would mystery oil do any good for this??

Thanks for reading.

hart
06-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I bet the noise your hearing if it isnt the valves is the timing chain, mine was dooing the same thing untill i replaced it with a crf450 chain wich is thicker and wont streach.

duke416ex
06-06-2005, 02:30 PM
I'll give yopu 600 for it and you won't have to worry bout it!!:D I would bet the head isn't bout shot, probably the chain like the other guy said, or he just didn't adjust them right. If it is the chain I would try to get it fixed soon so that you don't ruin the head though. If the bolts didn't break off in the head, it shouldn't be that bad, if they did you will have to find someone to drill and tap them out more than likely.

2004exrider
06-06-2005, 03:14 PM
i wouldnt put mystery oil in it. not sure if it would mess up your clutch or not

jaysun
06-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the good ideas. The timing chain sounds like a very good start compared to a new head....