PDA

View Full Version : shifting with/without clutch

99ex
06-05-2005, 02:09 PM
me and my buddy are fighting over this is it worse for my 300ex if i dont shift with the clutch from 1st to 5th and only use the clutch to downshift ans start off etc....

2004exrider
06-05-2005, 03:37 PM
im sure it will wear it out faster, but why not use the clutch its there for a reason

gojk
06-05-2005, 03:46 PM
It will wear the shift forks out prematurly, and you are taking a chance of bending or breaking one. What are you gaining by not using the clutch. If used right you could actually get a "boost" everytime you shift.

chucked
06-05-2005, 04:45 PM
I got like a million hours on my motor and I never use my clutch except to take off and down shift, Ive never even touched the bottom end. When I used to use the clutch it just wore out the perch bushings and the cable.

gojk
06-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I got like a million hours on my motor and I never use my clutch except to take off and down shift, Ive never even touched the bottom end. When I used to use the clutch it just wore out the perch bushings and the cable.

I am just saying he is taking a chance. You can go without using your clutch at all if you want, but why would it be there if it wasn't supposed to be used. I have ridden all day with a broken clutch cable and couldn't clutch all day, that doesn't make me want to never use the clutch though. I will admit, there are times that using the clutch isn't the best thing to do and I too don't use the clutch all of the time.

chucked
06-05-2005, 05:23 PM
who said you're supposed to use the clutch?

gojk
06-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by chucked
who said you're supposed to use the clutch?

Who said you are supposed to use the brakes, gas, shift lever.....

I am just saying damage CAN occur. I am not saying it definantly will happen.

chucked
06-05-2005, 05:40 PM
oooooooooook

FoxMxRiders
06-05-2005, 06:11 PM
If you left off the throttle and shift in the right time this will be ok

99ex
06-06-2005, 11:00 AM
kk thats what i do i let of then shift but i use the clutch more often

bwamos
06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Been running mine since I bought it in 1998. Many Hairscrambles and as a 330cc. I use the clutch sprodically. If I'm trying to beat someone to the corner I never clutch. As long as you let off the gas right before you shift it does just fine. I have never had wear problems in the 7 years.

Stock shift forks were as good as new as of last october when I last had her opened up for a bearing inspection.

The 300 shifts so smooth it just goes right in. I wouldn't dare do it on any other quads though.

I still use it of course when coming out of a tight corner and need to feather the clutch a little though. (basically the 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd gear shift I use it.. 3-4 and 4-5, I do not.)

06-06-2005, 12:12 PM
if you didnt need to use it im sure that they wouldnt put it on there. I am victim of a blow tranny in my raptor because its an 01 but i dont wanna have to spend 1600 again for something so simple as not using the clutch. it takes me the same amount of time to shift with out the clutch then it does with the clutchexcept with the clutch i dont have to hear the scuuury slaming sound

just my $0.02

6858-400ex
06-06-2005, 01:12 PM
anyone who says its alright to shift without the clutch has no right to be around anything mechanical

bwamos
06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex
anyone who says its alright to shift without the clutch has no right to be around anything mechanical

Technically you can get premature wear and technically you should always use your clutch to shift.

But out here in the real world.. I have yet to EVER know ANYONE who has EVER had their shift forks wear out or have any transmission problems from shifting a 300ex or even a 1987 250x consistently w/o using their clutch. Just as a note your not shifting under power or hard deceleration, you shift when the engine "floats".

In theory it is a bad thing.. but in reality I have yet to see anyone on a 300/250x have any issues outside of normal wear over the lifespan of their atv (up to 18 years.).

So to answer.. do it at your own risk.. but the time tested "risk" is very minimal.

quading is fun
06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Technically you can get premature wear and technically you should always use your clutch to shift.

But out here in the real world.. I have yet to EVER know ANYONE who has EVER had their shift forks wear out or have any transmission problems from shifting a 300ex or even a 1987 250x consistently w/o using their clutch. Just as a note your not shifting under power or hard deceleration, you shift when the engine "floats".

In theory it is a bad thing.. but in reality I have yet to see anyone on a 300/250x have any issues outside of normal wear over the lifespan of their atv (up to 18 years.).

So to answer.. do it at your own risk.. but the time tested "risk" is very minimal.
THATS MY QUAD!!!! and also i dont use the clutch when im racing someone to a turn like when im in 3rd,4th,or 5th. ive never had any problems with my wickedly awsome 1987 250x

motochamp250
06-06-2005, 04:00 PM
yall are all talkin bout how as long as u let off the gas before u shift without the clutch i mean if ur gonna left off the gas u might as well use the clutch gonna be the same amount of time by the way i always u se the clutch when i shift....

bwamos
06-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by motochamp250
yall are all talkin bout how as long as u let off the gas before u shift without the clutch i mean if ur gonna left off the gas u might as well use the clutch gonna be the same amount of time by the way i always u se the clutch when i shift....

In a long XC race.. it's more about arm pump and fatigue than saving time personally.

Same reason I lightened the springs in the carb and added a steering dampener. ;)

FoxMxRiders
06-06-2005, 07:58 PM
my father on is old bike use the clutch just for the 1st and when he downshift and never had any problem

bonified5
06-06-2005, 10:03 PM
omg are we that lazy that we cant pull a lever....I understand for a race cause it can get tiring, but use the dam clutch if ure just ridin around. o well, dont come cryin to us when u have a question about how to replace a clutch.

gojk
06-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by bonified5
omg are we that lazy that we cant pull a lever....I understand for a race cause it can get tiring, but use the dam clutch if ure just ridin around. o well, dont come cryin to us when u have a question about how to replace a clutch.

Or the tranny!;)

quading is fun
06-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
my father on is old bike use the clutch just for the 1st and when he downshift and never had any problem

im not sayin that im too lazy, it just gets tiring if ur racing or riding really hard all day long...

6858-400ex
06-07-2005, 10:30 AM
tuffin up a little

luigi
06-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Its like catching a baseball with your teeth, you could do it and maybe not break them but why.:confused:

99ex
06-07-2005, 01:53 PM
I WAS JUST WONDERING CALM UR NERVES ALL OF U GUYS!

Toadz400
06-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex

Why? If you know what you're doing there is no harm in it. When my dad drives semi (weekend job) he only uses the clutch for taking off. He doesn't even use the clutch for downshifting, he's gotten that good at determing the engine speed and where is the perfect time to shift. I've seen him do it in my Sonoma too, perfect shifting and doesn't even touch the clutch. He's worked with engines all his life, and he's never seen any problem with not using the clutch IF you know what you're doing.

But 99% of the people out there don't, so I don't recommend it;) .

johndeerenub18
06-08-2005, 09:28 AM
yeh my dad used to drive trucks and hes the same way. you just gotta hit it at the right time. personally i don't recommend it. and like he said not alot of people know when that right time is. it just takes experience.

quading is fun
06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
ya i know exactly when the right time to shift is, even though im just 14, but im very mechanicly inclined so i kinda know what the harm is and i can see how sometimes it causes problems if u dont know what ur doing..
also i dont ussually shift without the clutch cause its not as fun and u dont get any "boost" from shifting good.
but in a long and tiring race u gotta not use the clutch someitmes or else you'll suck later on cause ur all tired...