PDA

View Full Version : how many hours before tear down and rebuild?

QCquad83
06-05-2005, 10:47 AM
just wondering how many hours people are tearing down their 450r's and rebuilding them. i was told 20-30 hrs but just wanted to get some other opinions. i have an hour meter and have 20 hrs now.

Shawn H
06-05-2005, 11:13 AM
It all depends on your maintance IMO.
I raced all last year and rebuilt just before the 12hrs of america and all I did was put rings in it. Everything was perfect My crank bearing had a little wear tho.

This winter I had it completely gone thru and replaced the valves, seals,piston,rings, and cylinder, along with the crank.

I had 17 2hr races and countless hrs of practice time on the engine. I change my oil no matter what after each race, and after 8 to 10 hrs of practice time> Air Filter gets cleaned after each ride>

This is just my experience everyones different:cool:

sntheticdeluson
06-05-2005, 11:56 AM
i have been riding mine since january 04 i havent tore mine down yet why tear it down if nothing is wrong

Shawn H
06-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Why tear it Down?

So you catch anything before it grenades!!!

The Crank bearing does wear and you want to catch it before it locks up!!

06-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
Why tear it Down?

So you catch anything before it grenades!!!

The Crank bearing does wear and you want to catch it before it locks up!!

a stroker kit will fix the bearing problem right? because then it will have diff everything down there?

Shawn H
06-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Yea it would help cuz everything is new but eventually It would still wear>

I run a 480 Big bore and have had no problems but I have yet to tear into it to really check.

After the 6hrs of Wi I will rebuild it and check everything out>

06-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Yea it would help cuz everything is new but eventually It would still wear>

I run a 480 Big bore and have had no problems but I have yet to tear into it to really check.

After the 6hrs of Wi I will rebuild it and check everything out>

ok cuz i have had my bike for about half a year now...so i was thinkin tear it down once the season is over and put a stroker in it jus like a 470 or somethin

Kurt Glore
06-07-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
ok cuz i have had my bike for about half a year now...so i was thinkin tear it down once the season is over and put a stroker in it jus like a 470 or somethin

Do you really think you need a 470?

450r's r sexy
06-07-2005, 08:09 AM
yeah im gettin my motor done to a 470 and ported wha should i jet it?? i heard between170 and 180

06-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by kurt440
Do you really think you need a 470?

not really, but if it saves my motor then y not, i think it would be a nice thing to have also, add some torque and low end bogging power, ill be moving up to B Class with you guys next year...im sick of the C class getting stuck and holding everyone up

Martin Blair
06-07-2005, 08:43 PM
yurik you dont understantd, it will still wear with a stroker, that wont be any different then replacing the bearings. I havents heard of that many falirues, why is everyone concered with crank bearing falurie all the sudden. I have onyl heard of 05 faliures.

06-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
yurik you dont understantd, it will still wear with a stroker, that wont be any different then replacing the bearings. I havents heard of that many falirues, why is everyone concered with crank bearing falurie all the sudden. I have onyl heard of 05 faliures.

o well i think i will like a 470 stroker, hopefully the low end will be awsome :macho

Shawn H
06-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Guys

After time the crank bearing wears out. Plain and simple. Depending on how much use you have.As well as the faulty bearing or installation like in a few 05's.

I never had a problem with mine but when I redid my motor the Crank was due to make thru the next season(it would have never made it) So I replaced it.

My jetting is a 190 or 195 main(lol I cant remember) and a 48 pilot., 4th clip HRC Needle

06-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Guys

After time the crank bearing wears out. Plain and simple. Depending on how much use you have.As well as the faulty bearing or installation like in a few 05's.

I never had a problem with mine but when I redid my motor the Crank was due to make thru the next season(it would have never made it) So I replaced it.

My jetting is a 190 or 195 main(lol I cant remember) and a 48 pilot.,

how long did you wait to redo your motor the first time?

Shawn H
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
I raced it in 17- 2hr harescrambles,Over a 100 hrs of practice.

Laz(Gt Thunder) and I tore it down & rebuilt it, then raced the 12hrs of america. When we tore it down there was play in the rod about 40% I cant remember the exact thousandths>

Then I sent the motor(Winter time) to laz to have it totally gone thru and it needed a crank and other things, it was cheaper and safer(Its all new) to just buy a crank then just replace the bearing. Yea I could have left it all alone and gotten by for awhile but when it was apart your asked that question:

Do you want your motor to go all year with out any problems?Replace it now before you have major engine damage cuz its coming.

My answer was Yes:cool:

Like I said before IDK your maintance, ridetime, how hard of a rider you are etc...

This is and was my experience.

06-08-2005, 09:13 AM
I raced it in 17- 2hr harescrambles,Over a 100 hrs of practice.

Laz(Gt Thunder) and I tore it down & rebuilt it, then raced the 12hrs of america. When we tore it down there was play in the rod about 40% I cant remember the exact thousandths>

Then I sent the motor(Winter time) to laz to have it totally gone thru and it needed a crank and other things, it was cheaper and safer(Its all new) to just buy a crank then just replace the bearing. Yea I could have left it all alone and gotten by for awhile but when it was apart your asked that question:

Do you want your motor to go all year with out any problems?Replace it now before you have major engine damage cuz its coming.

My answer was Yes:cool:

Like I said before IDK your maintance, ridetime, how hard of a rider you are etc...

This is and was my experience.

well you had A LOT of time on your bike a lot more then i have right now, so i should be good for awhile :macho

awj8074
06-08-2005, 11:14 AM
i can see your reasons for rebuilding if your racing it but just for normal trail riding i dont think its nessecery. I have well over 50hours on mine.

Kurt Glore
06-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Yurik,

I have my motor torn down after every season to check everything out. Keeping the 450 a 450 will make it more reliable. As far as extra torque, that 450 should be all you need. My brother is a pro mechanic and raced pro class on motorcycles in XC and MX, so I have a huge cost savings by taking my stuff to him. I would reccomend doing this is you race a full season. Preventative maintenance is the best kind.

You could move up to the B class now. I never raced in the C class for the exact reasons you stated. There are too many guys in that class that think they are racers and just cause jams and get in your way. I think you will get better experience in the B class. Come talk to me at the next Missouri, I have the big blue and white ford 4 door powerstroke.

Kurt

Blown 331
06-08-2005, 03:48 PM
I bet I have well over 2000 hours on mine. I got it in Jan of 04. The tires are totally bald, almost cords, lots of long road rides, about 100 mile trips. I want to put a ESR 480cc 12.5 to 1 piston but unless these things are junk I don't see a reason to check the crank. I have a ton of old honda bikes and most of them have original rings. I have 7 500cc dirt bikes that are over 20 years old. I have a 1982 XL500R with over 20,000 miles and I see no signs of a rebuild.

happyboy
06-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Blown 331
I bet I have well over 2000 hours on mine. I got it in Jan of 04. The tires are totally bald, almost cords, lots of long road rides, about 100 mile trips.

:ermm: If it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck then it probobly is a duck!

Hahaha,, just did the math!! Roughly 500 days (508 if you assume Jan 15th) since you bought it. You would have had to ride it EACH AND EVERY DAY FOR at least 4 HOURS every day!! Hate to tell you this buddy, but you smoke WAYYYYYY to much crack.

awj8074
06-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by happyboy
:ermm: If it sounds like a duck, walks like a duck then it probobly is a duck!

Hahaha,, just did the math!! Roughly 500 days (508 if you assume Jan 15th) since you bought it. You would have had to ride it EACH AND EVERY DAY FOR at least 4 HOURS every day!! Hate to tell you this buddy, but you smoke WAYYYYYY to much crack. yea i think he went a little over on the 2000 but you get the idea. I ride mine about 2-4 hours every other day. and somtimes every day.

450r's r sexy
06-09-2005, 10:14 AM
whats the best jettin for the 480?

06-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by kurt440
Yurik,

I have my motor torn down after every season to check everything out. Keeping the 450 a 450 will make it more reliable. As far as extra torque, that 450 should be all you need. My brother is a pro mechanic and raced pro class on motorcycles in XC and MX, so I have a huge cost savings by taking my stuff to him. I would reccomend doing this is you race a full season. Preventative maintenance is the best kind.

You could move up to the B class now. I never raced in the C class for the exact reasons you stated. There are too many guys in that class that think they are racers and just cause jams and get in your way. I think you will get better experience in the B class. Come talk to me at the next Missouri, I have the big blue and white ford 4 door powerstroke.

Kurt

ya i am hoping to get some more experience, ill for sure talk to you at the next race, we will be in a big red suburban with a popup right outfront of our trailer, its not inclosed