PDA

View Full Version : 400ex. Stock vs Aftermarket Shocks

426ex
06-05-2005, 10:25 AM
As a weekend warrior, are aftermarket shocks worth the investment? Are they that great of an improvement over stock? Can upgrades be made to the stock shocks to improve performance?

06-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 426ex
As a weekend warrior, are aftermarket shocks worth the investment? Are they that great of an improvement over stock? Can upgrades be made to the stock shocks to improve performance?

I would invest in a set of works shocks, better then stock, and cheap, they are definintly worth the money for sure, they are a huge improvement over stock, and it will improve your performance hugely, you will be much faster and have a more plush ride :macho

if you wanna toss the money out get some elkas, they are the best shocks on the market in my opinion, get the rec ones without ressie if need be, then get the rear revalved

T2RACING
06-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Get aftermarket .. There are an array of choices and price ranges.. Your stock shocks cant really be improved.. I know a lot of weekend warriors like yourself are using stock 450r shocks.. Don't know the improvement but maybe someone who has done this can tell ya..

Colby@C&DRacing
06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Aftermarket shock are a big improvement over stock on the 400ex. The stock shocks are really lacking in performance and ride quality. Allot of people think better shocks are just for racers but wouldn't you like to not feel every rock and bump in the trail.:)

Zingnut
06-06-2005, 10:11 AM
I was in your same shoes and bought a set of used works off a buddy and they were a great improvement over stock. I then grew tired of them and decided to keep an eye out for some Elka's. After about 6 months found a set that I bought for under 600.00 They are the tripples with rezzy's and comp adjustable, the rear is a full dual rate rear. the front needed a rebuild which was not to costly. After the install of the complete suspension I was a 3rd faster in the woods then ever before. It improved the ride a feel so much that I had to remove the 14 tooth sprocket and go back to the 15 tooth because I was tapping out the rev limiter to much with the new setup. I am completely satified now and would highly recommend the best shocks you can afford. I only ride maybe 20 times a year but I know now that I will ride the seat off this bike everytime with great feedback and performance due to this upgrade.

426ex
06-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Thanks for all your help guys....sounds like good advice.